Hole in plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

There was a gas fire sat in front of this hole and there is a flue, I want to block the hole up.

The hole is cut out of plasterboard so there is no plaster to hack off around the opening. Also, it doesn't show on the photo but the left hand side has been skimmed with concrete so you can't slide plasterboard behind the existing plasterboard.

What is the best way to do this please?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
can you stud behind and make the studs stick half behind the existing board then screw through the existing board innto the stud and also cut a piece of platerboard into the hole, screwed in place.

I will have to do my best to build some stud and do what you say. When I have done that, what do I do next?

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Couple of things;

- I assume I would continue the multifinish over onto the existing plasterboard by a couple of inches. Should I thin it out using a devils float? Should I use easyfill instead of multifinish as it is probably easier to rub down?

- Some of the paper has peeled off the existing plasterboard to reveal cardboard/paper, what should I do to this before I paint it?

Thank you.

- I assume I would continue the multifinish over onto the existing plasterboard by a couple of inches. Should I thin it out using a devils float? Should I use easyfill instead of multifinish as it is probably easier to rub down?

I'm assuming this is the fireplace that you were talking about in your cat flap post.
After you provide the stud work & plasterboard (as 1John advises), I think you're best with some Bonding to fill it out a bit just under the wall level (as looking at the thickness in the right hand pic, it looks about 10mm deep).
I.e. the approach Roy C gave you in the previous post.

A devil's float has nails/spikes in it for scratching up render/undercoat plaster. Don't think this was what you meant.

To fill out the last mm or so, you're prob fine with easyfill for ease.

- Some of the paper has peeled off the existing plasterboard to reveal cardboard/paper, what should I do to this before I paint it?

There's only 1 skin of paper on plasterboard as far as I'm aware. So assuming the paper peeled off on top was a wallpaper anyway (or lining paper)
If there is paper still on the board and it is well stuck still, I'd perhaps ensure all smooth with easy fill. Then it will give a neat finish with paint.

Yes, this question was part of the 'cat flap' post, that post sort of developed into a conversation about beer and New Year's eve. So I thought I'd try again with a couple of photos.

Thanks for your help.

If the existing plasterboard is skimmed then your new board will be a few mil shy, rule off with one coat and skim over with easyfill, sand back as previously described

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back