Hole in Roof at Gas Boiler Flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just over a year ago we had our 1 year old gas boiler moved from the attic end wall into the airing cupboard upstairs. This was carried out by a team of British Gas installers and the flue was put up through the tiled pitched roof.
Yesterday, British a Gas service engineer came to carry out an annual service and he asked for access to the loft to inspect the flue (right next to the hatch). When I opened the hatch in the landing ceiling, I could see sunlight shining directly onto the boiler flue, inside the attic. I pointed it out to the British Gas man and he said that it wasn't his job to deal with it and I would have to report it to the installation section. After he had inspected the flue he said that a roof tile had slipped down and he had pushed it back up. I could still see light up there though. I suggested that the original installers hadn't done their job correctly and that the house had never had loose tiles before & that I would speak to British Gas myself. He asked me if he could see the installers paperwork and name, which I showed him.
As he was going, the engineer told me that he would speak to his supervisor to try and get the problem rectified and that there was no need for me to phone British Gas.
I'm now at a loss what to do next. Do I wait for this man to organise a repair or, in the interest of having good records of correspondence, report the problem to a higher authority?
Surely though, a new installation shouldn't fail in a year and a month.

Sponsored Links
What has failed?

The hole in the roof is not a failure, its a bad job. Report it as such and don't rely on that engineers word.

Don't worry about any period of time since the work being completed either, you have six years to discover any defects

What has failed?

The hole in the roof is not a failure, its a bad job. Report it as such and don't rely on that engineers word.

Don't worry about any period of time since the work being completed either, you have six years to discover any defects
Appreciate your reply, it's along the lines of what we were beginning to think. At first we were happy with him "having a word", but later felt uneasy that there mightn't be any record of the "repair" that we could refer to in the event of any leaks / damage. We'll take your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back