Hole in the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would be the best solution to refill this area back up?

Its in a common hallway,obviously where all the services for the 4 flats have access.

Its roughly 150cm deep,although not at the point where the water pipes pop through.plus random deep holes around the back and in some areas.

hole.jpg

My idea would be a load of sand and maybe a gravel finishjust to smarten it up.Bit reluctant to concrete it back up in case of future problems but i dunno.

any thoughts?

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps, dont touch it.
Its a mess and just so long as its compartmentalised then thats barely enough - but for you its well to stay away

its has been left.

But the gap in the floor pokes out from underneath the cupboard doors so it looks pretty ****ty.Plus a little kid moved in so it could be a bit dangerous under there.

Still thinking level off with sand and a gravely type top and just cover it up.Cant see that causing any problems would it?

I can see it causing various problems.

The door appears to be set back half a tile from the hole - how does the hole poke under the door?

Secure the door with a kiddy-proof latch.

Sponsored Links
I dunno,whoever dug it out wasnt arsed about how it looked at the end,hence theres about a half tile gap in front of the cupboard doors.I wasnt around when it gone done.

Its just a job to tidy up in lockdown,hence the fill it up with sand up to its lowest level,and yeah,stick a lock on it.

A lock will delay or deter some keyless tenant who desperately needs access - utility people will walk away from locked access.
So as above a simple latch is all thats needed.

A Meter Cabinet camlock would be suitable. Utility workers will carry the standard key and any tenant can have one.

s-l225.webp

It will deter small children but not determined vandals.

Does the building have a secure entrance door that is not wedged open?

I'd be tempted to fit a door made of a FD30 slab, on lift-off hinges.

Screed the floor with smooth sand and cement so it can be swept or vacced clean easily. You should block gaps with S&C or fire foam. S&C is better at blocking vermin.

Ill sort a latch out,thats not a problem.

Ill just knock up a small formwork for the exposed area and ready mix the gap there.Think that would sort it out.

cheers

Is it owned by you or the freeholder? If it isn’t yours, leave it well alone.

Filling that hole would not make a jot of difference to the look of the utilities cupboard

Your time and money would be better spent putting a decent door on it

But the gap in the floor pokes out from underneath the cupboard doors so it looks pretty ****ty.Plus a little kid moved in so it could be a bit dangerous under there.

Looks like the door sits on top of your tiles in your pic, any chance of a couple of wider pics so we get a better understanding

There is a magnetic catch on the wooden batton. I guess the door sits against that so it would be set back from the tile as he said.

Hard to tell from the pic but if it does drop down 10-15cm after the tile I can see shy he wants to sort it out as it is dangerous.

Can the door be moved forward??

If not I would do as you said and raise the height up from the batten to the tile edge.

Last edited:
There is a magnetic catch on the wooden batton. I guess the door sits against that so it would be set back from the tile as he said.

Hard to tell from the pic but if it does drop down 10-15cm after the tile I can see shy he wants to sort it out as it is dangerous.

Can the door be moved forward??

If not I would do as you said and raise the height up from the batten to the tile edge.

I would consider the high voltage electricity in that cupboard to be a hell of a lot more dangerous then any 100mm drop

Hint - one will kill a kid the other won't

Op - like I said you would be better off with a proper door and framing for said door with a high handle turned upside down that a kid can't reach

Did I say to leave the door off?????

And yes a hole poking 80cm wide x 15cm deep under a door in a communal hallway area needs fixing and the landlord should be sorting

Did I say to leave the door off?????

And yes a hole poking 80cm wide x 150cm deep under a door in a communal hallway area needs fixing and the landlord should be sorting

Stop twisting what I say (I have a wife for that) , no where did I say that you said to leave the door off

The hole is there for the services , what does need sorting is a proper door and framing which when constructed is bought forward to sit on the tiles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back