Hole in the wall fireplace is this Plasterboard ok? (Pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am getting a hole in the wall type biofuel fireplace. As it will be biofuel it does not need a vent.

I am planning to install it in a bordered up chimney. From what I can tell the lower section of the chimney has been bordered up by regular plasterboard and the rest is solid (Pics below).

From what I have read I may have to take off the plasterboard and instead use some bricks/cement. However as this fireplace will not emit any fumes will this still be required?

Thanks for the help guys!

8eaPnXJ.jpg

5ypE0aH.jpg

WX3nQHl.jpg

OCBZwhx.jpg

Pic of the fireplace:

Ci34ns5.jpg

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard is ok as long you can get a good fixing. That will be the problem, depending on the weight of the unit.

Thanks for the reply.

The unit is heavy!

My plan is to cut a hole in the plasterboard and then make a sort of bed for the fireplace with piled up bricks and then "slot" the fireplace in.

The fireplace does come with a bracket to attach it to a wall but I don't think I will need this as it will be inside the wall rather then on the wall.

Pic for what I mean (everything drawn in black will be within the wall/plasterboard and out of view):

J3qdPCa.jpg

What do the instructions say about fixing the unit if it's recessed? It'll be a hot naked flame and I wouldn't just sit it on a pile of bricks.

Sponsored Links
The instructions do not cover what to do when recessing the fireplace.

However the company that sells the fireplace mention the following on their website:

http://www.thenakedflame.co.uk/products/wall-mounted-bio-fuel-fires/infinity-bio-fuel-fire/prod_47.html

Back Box: H 47cms x W64 cms x D22 cms - Please note the back box allows this product to be recessed into an existing fireplace provided the room is available to house it. * If recessing this product it should be into an existing fireplace or suitable heat resistant aperture an air gap should be left around the back box.

I am thinking to build up a wall at the back the chimney where I can bolt the fireplace onto. Which will mean the fireplace has been bolted onto a secure wall and is sitting on a bed of bricks. Currently the chimney is too deep to allow for the fireplace to be secured onto the wall behind the plasterboard.

Thanks again!

The instructions do not cover what to do when recessing the fireplace

You need to ask the supplier/manufacturer for clear instructions. You can't make something like this up as you go along.

Do I see timber in the pictures?

None that I know of apart from the skirting. The boards are plasterboards.

I could be wrong and there may be some timber that I am missing? Have not been here for long!

Plasterboard is usually nailed or screwed to timber studs

Plasterboard is usually nailed or screwed to timber studs

OK cool thanks for the heads up.

Whatever the plan I will need to make a hole in the current plasterboard.

I guess I will do that first and depending on what I find (or don't find) behind the plasterboard will dictate what to do next.

Will update once the hole is in place :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back