Holes in replacement hinges don't line up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting replacement doors and hinges. Problem is that I can't find any hinges that have holes in precisely the same position as the original hinges. I'm using 3" (76mm) hinges with 3 holes arranged in a sort of half moon pattern. None of the new hinge holes line up with the existing screw holes in the timber frame. They differ in how far each is out of line but when you hold a new hinge against the frame you can just see the edge of the holes behind. What do I do? Keep looking in the hope I'll eventually find exact replacement hinges? Or shall I use longer screws and drill small pilot holes in the hope I can get the new hinges fixed firmly? As usual, any advice would be much appreciated. Kind regards to all.

Sponsored Links
You wouldnt want to use the same holes anyway because the strength would no longer be there, I used to do as above, matches and wood glue all the way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back