Holes in skirting - Cause for concern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're currently looking at buying a house that's a bit of a project. I was a little concerned when I found that a fair amount of the skirting boards on the ground floor had holes drilled in them. I've attached a picture for reference, you can see they've been filled afterwards. I know this is usually related to some sort of damp proofing or DPC injection.

Is this a significant cause for concern generally? For context, the house was built before DPC was introduced as mandatory (around 1860's I think). There were obvious signs of dampness and moisture - mould on some surfaces and a very musty smell.

I can't help but think it's a little odd that they didn't even take off the skirting to drill the holes? Is this indicative of a bodge job? Is there also a circumstance where rising damp issues are just impossible to fix?

Obviously, I'll be having a building survey if I go ahead with the purchase but I don't know much about damp, so if this is a huge red flag then I'd rather save the survey costs!

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220409_122934660.jpg
    PXL_20220409_122934660.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 123
  • PXL_20220409_122937891.jpg
    PXL_20220409_122937891.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 122
Sponsored Links
Whoever ruined the skirting was a bodging idiot but as to the extent of any rising damp ("a huge red flag") - how would we know on the basis of 900mm of skirting pics? There's a shadow on the plaster in pic1. but nothing else to indicate damp.
Use the search facility on here - put in "rising damp"

There are simple ways of dealing with all & any rising damp - in terms of buying a house in 2022 then its a nothing.
Come back here after the survey and get further help.

Is there also a circumstance where rising damp issues are just impossible to fix?

not really, the problem is getting professional advice and professionals to sort it out.

Generally most damp problems are fully fixable - and permanent if done properly.

a damp wall can be stripped back to bare brick, fit a membrane like Oldroyd and then plaster
Obviously you want to find the source of the problem too.

The holes in the skirting are laughable - only a complete muppet wouldn’t ping off the skirtings first

OK, thanks both.

Yeh I wasn't expecting a full assessment based on those pictures. Would guess then from the holes in the skirting that it's possible the guys who made the first damp proofing attempt may not have done a great job...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back