Holey Water Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just moved into a new house and in the garden there are a couple of large plastic barrels that would make great water butts, Unfortunately, they have previously used for growing and have holes about 25 to 30 mm in diameter drilled in the bottom of them them for drainage.

Can anyone suggests a good meterial for plugging the holes.

Thanks

Pete

Sponsored Links
Two thoughts pass by......
Plug the holes from the inside with grommets plus silicone; (if the holes are cleanly drilled)
Consider wrapping the drums with a Halfords fibre glass repair kit - if you can roughen the plastic surface up a bit to get a key.
(You may end up just chucking them away though)
John :)

my thoughts where by coating the whole area it will start to run through the drain holes and will start to set and expand causing plugs in the holes ??

Sponsored Links
Thanks both for the suggestions.

I’ve used the pu foaming glue for several woodworking projects, good stuff, impossible to clean off your hands :¬). Not really thought of this for plastic, but unfortunately its not suitable for permanently submersed areas. However, there may be something similar, will have a look round.

Similar with the sealants, most are described as waterproof, but not suitable for submersed areas, however the fibreglass idea sounds like it might work, thanks.

Be a pity to throw them away. Probably just use them as big plant pots if I cant seal the holes.

Thanks again

from the transtool website
"
  • Acid and chemical resistant.
  • Full waterproof including seawater.
you are not fully relying on adhesion as i say the glue will spread out like a bung through the holes
now you will have 2 possible outcomes it will work well or fail
what is the barrel going to stand on ??
a solid surface fully supporting the base or just the edges ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back