Hollow sound on newly laid parquet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I’ve recently had a new parquet floor laid in a dining room (22mm oak, t and g, planks are 230 x 70mm)

it’s been done professionally and I’m finishing it off and doing the edging.

The question I had is that it looks great but there are two noticeable areas where a couple of planks have a hollow sound if you tap them and a small creak when you walk on them. My guess is that there’s either a slight change in level under them or not a full bed of adhesive - or both.

is this going to be a problem in years to come and if so, is there any way to fix it? I can’t see an easy option as they’re in the middle of a 30sq m room with t and g planks so can’t see how to lift them without ripping the whole lot up.

thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I think you could well be right about the adhesive. The sub-floor should (could?) possibly have been levelled, but parquet adhesive is fairly heavy bodied and tends to fill minor hollows quite well on its' own

You can cut out individual blocks using a circular saw, multitool, hammer, prybar and chisels - but it ain't pretty. Whatever you put back in will sit proud to start with and you need to carefully consider how you'll relevel it and refinish it to match the rest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back