Hollow Wall anchor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using a hollow Wall anchor with setting tool.. but some of the bolts just spin when screwing in?

It's driving me mad.. any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Just 15mm I presumed? It's a partition in a new build... It's dry, it's 4 years old

OK, so it should be OK. What length of anchors are you using? (I am trying to get to the bottom of this... :unsure:). I also find with my two setting tools (which are both out-of-the-Ark Rawl guns some 20+ years old) that you often need to pull-up the fastening, remove the gun, screw the machine screw in a bit further then do a second pull - it seems to depend on the length of the fixing to an extent. Have you tried taking a fixing and doing a pull-up "dry" (i.e. not in the wall) to see if you need to do a second pull-up?

pops and spins
Are they cheapo ones from eBay/Amazon/etc?
I'd recommend getting some Fischer ones and trying again. They have a very large range of sizes...

Don’t use a power screwdriver it will spin them , tighten by hand or use needle nose pliers to stop them spinning .Did you tighten first then remove screw to use for your fixing?

Don’t use a power screwdriver it will spin them , tighten by hand or use needle nose pliers to stop them spinning .Did you tighten first then remove screw to use for your fixing?
The guy did say he was using the setting tool...

Hi.. No didn't tighten first, should I ? And I did use a screwdriver.

I'm using the Rawlplug anchors and tool..

I have had the same issue in the past with the smaller 4mm Rawlplug anchors. The threads in the anchor stripped as I tightened them (after having previously used the Rawlplug Interset tool.

I have never had it happen with the 5mm ones.

I don't have the most manly of wrists, so I suspect that it is a quality control issue. Of the last 20 or so that I used, it happened twice.

Yes these are M4 X 38MM
I have had the same issue in the past with the smaller 4mm Rawlplug anchors. The threads in the anchor stripped as I tightened them (after having previously used the Rawlplug Interset tool.

I have never had it happen with the 5mm ones.

I don't have the most manly of wrists, so I suspect that it is a quality control issue. Of the last 20 or so that I used, it happened twice.

Hi.. No didn't tighten first, should I ? And I did use a screwdriver.

I'm using the Rawlplug anchors and tool..

Foxhole missed the bit about you using the setting tool. Obviously, when using the tool, you can't tighten the screw first. If you were to do that, the setting tool wouldn't be able to grab the screwhead.

As an aside, I think they should make a tool specifically for the 4mm fixings. The head is too small to grab (which is why they use washers on them). I often found them slipping out as I pulled the trigger.

I suspect that you are not at fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back