How to hang spice rack on a hollow door

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to hang up a spice rack on a door that is hollow

Is this OK to do?

I thought would be OK if I used dry wall anchors

The problem is that the door looks like it's less than 3cm thick. So not sure what anchor to use

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The following should work

They are similar to interset fittings but those are used for plasterboard, which is thicker than the hardboard on a thin door. Additionally, intersets have teeth thay dig into the substrate.

Before buying them, read the reviews, you normally need to use a special tool. The tool grabs the screw head and as it pulls it towards to you, the wings on the fitting clamp to the reverse side of the door skin.

Someone in the reviews talks about not having the setting tool.

The following should work

They are similar to interset fittings but those are used for plasterboard, which is thicker than the hardboard on a thin door. Additionally, intersets have teeth thay dig into the substrate.

Before buying them, read the reviews, you normally need to use a special tool. The tool grabs the screw head and as it pulls it towards to you, the wings on the fitting clamp to the reverse side of the door skin.

Someone in the reviews talks about not having the setting tool.
The setting tool is a must for these fittings. It's much easier, and quicker, than trying to tighten them with a screwdriver first.

Sponsored Links
I want to hang up a spice rack on a door that is hollow

Is this OK to do?

I thought would be OK if I used dry wall anchors

The problem is that the door looks like it's less than 3cm thick. So not sure what anchor to use

Thanks
Thin door is unlikely to be hollow, is it a cupboard door?

The problem is that the door looks like it's less than 3cm thick.

The OP seemed to be guessing.

I have seen cupboard doors that are hollow- by that I mean that regular door blanks were used.

Hence my question

Ok, I am lost. The OP says it is about 3cm (which is close to 3.5cm). I would imagine that if the OP were to tap the door, they would hear the hollow sound.

Ok, I am lost. The OP says it is about 3cm (which is close to 3.5cm). I would imagine that if the OP were to tap the door, they would hear the hollow sound.
OP said less than 30mm . We don’t know how OP determined it’s hollow, in fact we know next to nothing about the door given the little info by OP.
Going by previous posts on this forum many posters descriptions are completely misleading and inaccurate . So it’s nice to know what the actual problem is rather than waste time suggesting solutions to problems which often don’t exist .

Thanks for the replies guys.
The door is for a small room - not cupboard.
The room was meant to be a small toilet room with sink, but we never installed toilet.
We've got a fridge in there and use as a storage room with shelves.

The door... I was just eyeballing to be honest
I'd definitely say 3cm max. Not 3.5cm.

I'm looking in temu
Can't find 16mm on there - that would be a good size I think
I'll order from Amazon if I can't find
@opps thanks for the link

+ I've already got a setter tool

Last edited:
I often see the Temu app's adverts on some websites, have you used it? And if so is it similar to aliexpress, in so far as the items are dispatched from china and have a 4 to 6 week lead time?

BTW, an alternative would be a wooden baton that is held in place with screws drilled in from the reverse side of the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back