Live Spice Rack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So in the spirit of my continued disasters...

My spice rack is finally up on the wall. 3 out of 4 screws are in, the 4th just spins.

I think I know why it just spins.

The spice rack is live, and gives me a solid electric shock if I touch it. So does my gas boiler, which is to the left of it.

Looks like I've managed to drill into a cable.

Sponsored Links
There's a boiler to the left, a socket at ground level far to the right where the fridge is, and a switch for the boiler beneath to the right. There's nothing near the screw holes as far as I can see.

The circuit hasn't tripped either.

someones done some dodgy wiring then, the safe zones are up and down, side to side from a socket, power point etc.

dont drill there.

Sponsored Links
Switched off the boiler at the isolation switch and no electrical shocks... of course no boiler... guess the electrician will be out soon.

I'm now wondering if it's possible it was static electricity... 230V would have been a severe shock and should have tripped rather than what felt like a 12V battery.

well dont try touching it again.

depends on how well earthed you where.

got a multimeter? set ac volts, put one probe to the rack and the other to earth i.e socket earth.

I'm now wondering if it's possible it was static electricity... 230V would have been a severe shock and should have tripped rather than what felt like a 12V battery.
Does not always trip, shock depends on amount of contact and how well you are earthed when you touch it.

I do get shocks still.. even with the boiler turned off. I've really no idea what I'm doing.

I don't have a multimeter. so I have no way of testing if it's live.

The shocks are small, I've had a 240V shock before when I was in my teens. My dad had cut the lawnmower cable and fixed it with a 3 pin socket and plug... and had the plug live, the shock from that was much more powerful than the shocks I've been having today.

I don't understand electric shocks a great deal though... however I'm in a second floor flat so I don't imagine I'm earthed so perhaps that's it?

shock.jpg

I didn't expect any cables to be there.

I don't understand electric shocks a great deal though... however I'm in a second floor flat so I don't imagine I'm earthed so perhaps that's it?

you will understand when we wont see any more posts from you.

get a sparks and stop fooking around.

The one that did the electrical work has his mobile off. I've just turned off the supply to the kitchen and I'll leave it off until he comes out.

What I mean when I say that I don't understand how severe it could/should be at 240V is that while I'm not sure it is the full 240V I'm getting (I realise that V=IR and if R will determine how much A there is, even if V is constant) I'm sure enough that it might be dangerous so I'm going to keep it turned off.

try licking it.:confused:

turn electrics off take screws out and remove rack put some tape over holes and dont touch that area,and sooner rather then later get a sparks out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back