Hollow Wall Fixing: At A Loss...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Been using hollow wall fixings in my hollow wall house for 26 years but am stumped at the mo...

I have a tile on PB wall, so about 18-20mm thick. I need to fix the 2 bits of the shower riser rail to the wall (the bits that hold the pole). Not much load, but I need a fixing 80mm ish long. Why? These flippin mounts require the screw to more or less go all the way through it, meaning at least 38mm of the fixing is wasted in the mounting.

So a toggle will need to be really long to clear the PB, but an 80mm toggle will need a 15mm hole, which is overkill. Intersets will be too short, and may not pull up on 20mm of wall anyway.

Would the wallplugs with 'wings' do the job?

Any ideas very welcome? Ta.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
My first thought... Can't get M3 screws 80mm long. (Well not readily...)

M3? Why would they be machine screws rather than "wood" screws. M3 is tiny. I am guessing that they would be PH or PZ1 heads?

Orbital fastenings are great for hard(ish) to obtain screws. They will sell screws in single quantities-subject to a min order of £25 ex vat for free delivery (next day if in the M25). I used them at lot recently when working at a customer's house when I discovered that the builders had lost the screws for the bathroom fitting and used any old screw that they had to hand.

I suspect that the screws that you need are 3.5mm (+) tapered screws rather than 3m machine thread screws.

As much as I like them, I don't think interset will work on tiles because of the "teeth" on them. When putting up risers/etc, I use the nylon plugs that the screw pull sin form the back and spreads. I also dab a bit of silicone in to the fitting before using the screw so that is is shower proof.

I assumed he means these:

ae235

I assumed he means these:

/QUOTE]

He does! I use those a lot, but the screw (is machine screw the correct term?) is too short. The spring toggles I have are M3 screws, but again, too short. So I was trying to get longer screws that I could use on either fixing. I will prob have a go at the nylon ones that use a wood screw and 'crush up' behind the PB.

Doh! My reply is in the quote!

When putting up risers/etc, I use the nylon plugs that the screw pull sin form the back and spreads. I also dab a bit of silicone in to the fitting before using the screw so that is is shower proof.

Missed this Opps, yes, that's where next. And the silicone round the fitting is a good shout too.

Doh! My reply is in the quote!

Sorry, my confusion was compounded by the mention of a M3 screw, I have only seen a min of 4mm machine screws in intersets.

BTW, the Rawlplug intersets can deal with up to 36mm in plasterboard thickness.

https://www.rawlplug.co.uk/product/sm-interset/

The smallest diameter ones that seem to fit your requirements are these

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/products/m5x65-interset-cavity-fixing-rawl-pno-r-sm-05065

They use a M5 screw and require a 9mm clearance hole. Unfortunately the screw is only 65mm long but that I am guessing that they will be long enough for you (once the interset has been pulled "closed").

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back