Holly taking over privet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have about 40m of privet surrounding my house, about 2m of that has been taken over by holly, how should I go about removing it? I don't mind having a gap for a year or 2 (there's already another gap), if I can successfully grow another privet in it's place. I think it's slowly taking over the whole length, I should stop it now before it gets too bad, as it's a pain to keep under control. Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Cut the plants you don't want near to ground level but leave enough stump to repeat the procedure if necessary and immediately apply a tree root killer. It is not harmful for the other plants if they are not in contact with it. After several week the dead stump can be removed.

Sponsored Links
Well Holly's a native plant, so good for wildlife, has attractive foliage, red berries in the winter, good for security and it's one of my favourite plants :D

Hello, what would i do? well i think if you take it out you will have to kill it off at the base, whilst i am all for tapestry hedging i just dont think holly and privet work well, however done properly you could clip the privet away and make a channel for the ivy, but you will need to clip the holly back so you will have given time a neat vertical column of ivy sanwiched between the privet, remember privet can be hard pruned and old privet hedges always do well and respond its a great way to rejuvenate them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back