Holy Moly

L

Lincsbodger

Dartmouth town centre has gone up in flames, at least 10 buildings burnt out including a 16th century Tudor house Grade 1 listed building full of medieval documents.

Sponsored Links
Another piece of history lost forever.
What a shame.
Glad there were no injuries to anyone.

Its a shame when you hear of historic buildings like that being destroyed....started in a chippy. I bet that chippy looked in its place in between those tudor buildings.

Glad no one was injured though

Sponsored Links
Don't you think that all listed buildings should have a sprinkler system fitted, it might not look good. But at least it would save these buildings if the worst happened.

Andy

Don't you think that all listed buildings should have a sprinkler system fitted, it might not look good. But at least it would save these buildings if the worst happened.

Andy
The fire started in a fish and chip shop at lunchtime on Friday and quickly spread to adjoining properties in Fairfax Place.
Might be a good idea to have them fitted in these types of establishments.

As most people know that water and hot oil does not go together.
So I stand by what I said that listed buildings should have a sprinkler system.

Andy

Not sure that the water from a sprinkler system wouldn't do more damage to wattle & daub construction, or to ornate plasterwork, than an average fire.

Always a shame to see buildings like these go up in flames, but if we did religiously preserve everything just because it's old then we'd have no room to develop anything new.

Not sure that the water from a sprinkler system wouldn't do more damage to wattle & daub construction, or to ornate plasterwork, than an average fire.

Always a shame to see buildings like these go up in flames, but if we did religiously preserve everything just because it's old then we'd have no room to develop anything new.

Yes but a lot of new is garbage - i think it highly unlikely anything built by Barratt, for example, will still be standing in 50 years, let alone 500.

I agree, but Barratt tend to build more on green field or already clear brown field sites. There are good examples of clearing away the old to make way for the new.

Salfords Lowry Centre and Imperial War Museum couldn't have been built without completely clearing away the industrial heritage which was Salford Docks.

Same goes for most city centre regeneration projects - Gatesheads Baltic, Birminghams Bull Ring, Liverpool One and the Arena, Canary Wharf, even the new Wembley.

I agree, but Barratt tend to build more on green field or already clear brown field sites. There are good examples of clearing away the old to make way for the new.

Salfords Lowry Centre and Imperial War Museum couldn't have been built without completely clearing away the industrial heritage which was Salford Docks.

Same goes for most city centre regeneration projects - Gatesheads Baltic, Birminghams Bull Ring, Liverpool One and the Arena, Canary Wharf, even the new Wembley.

There was a new build estate built by Barratt near here, it made the local news because one of the houses still had over 1000 separate faults three years from being built.

There used to be a joke; Whats the difference between VD and a Barratt house? - you can get rid of VD..........

Sponsored Links
Back