Holy tiles and moving lead work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed a hole in one of our tiles which must've only appeared in the last month or so.

I don't know the makeup of a roof so i don't know if this will be a problem or not. Obviously it's not ideal but question is whether it's disastrous kind of thing.
I think the tile is a Mini Stonewold although not 100% on that. The extension was only built in 2000 so why would a random hole appear after only 19 years? I thought tiles lasted better than that?!

As for a fix - would climbing on top and plugging with silicone (or something) as a temp fix be ok? Can be a bit of a nightmare getting time off to see tradesmen or even getting them out in general.
And for the proper fix - what does this entail? Do they have to take a few rows of tiles out just to get to that one tile?

Photo 22-05-2019, 2 25 28 pm.jpg
Photo 22-05-2019, 2 25 33 pm.jpg

Then further back on that roof, the lead moves away freely...

Photo 22-05-2019, 2 25 39 pm.jpg
Photo 22-05-2019, 2 25 47 pm.jpg

Normal & no problem or what?

Sponsored Links
the tile is easy to replace without striping any. Simply push up the two tiles above the one you need to swap. push hard....they will go up.
once the top f the faulty tile is exposed remove it and drop the new one in place.
Now , get a trowel and slip it under the pushed up tiles one at a time, trowel in one hand put pressure on the tile with the other and pull it down to its original position.

The lead is a bit of a bugger because its incorrectly fitted .. without taking out the window the best you can do is secure it back to where it came from and seal

Soggy Bottom, good evening.

The hole in the roof tile?
Looks as if something has hit it a relatively high velocity? a slow impact would tend to have a shattering effect?

Off the wall question? do planes fly over your property regularly?

As for the Lead flashing? did / does it fit into a "lip" under the window sill in the posted image?

Ken

I can't get a good face on view of the lead because that'd involve getting on the roof and i don't do heights very well but it sort of just tucks under the window sill. I just push it back. Over time it comes forward a bit and i just push it back again.

I don't think planes go over here much or even at all to be honest. Don't ever remember seeing them. Next doors cat on the other hand....

We actually need our fascias doing so i may try lump it as an all-in-one job. I should've photographed the fascia boards and seen what you guys think of the job, whether it's a biggie or not. I'll get the photos tomorrow. The board seems to have gone rotten in 19 years. Well actually it was rotten when we moved in 6 years ago so 13 years. I'd have thought they'd use decent tanalised timber.

Sponsored Links
Bit later than promised...

Photo 24-05-2019, 2 31 40 pm.jpg Photo 24-05-2019, 2 31 47 pm.jpg Photo 24-05-2019, 2 32 18 pm.jpg

Just wondering what'd be involved in sorting this out as it's pretty rotten.

Or is it really not as bad as it looked? Again i don't know the makeup of a roof so don't really know if this needs sorting sooner rather than later or not.

Soggy Bottom, good evening again

Can I ask? are the images posted are there 2 of one side and one of another side of the roof?

Image 1 + 2 appear to show a very thick piece of timber? almost like a rafter, exposed to the elements?

As for rot? you will have to get up close and use a probe [of some sort] to determine if the wood is indeed rot affected?

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back