Tile bond and accessing roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the information, so far.
As I am getting towards the top of the roof, I am finding it difficult to keep the bond:
(1) Can I put in a tile slip, like the one shown in the photo? The side lap of the tiles is 55mm and therefore does not need a lead soaker .
(2) Should I adjust the bond so that the layout is shifted along a bit and not in line with the lower courses ?
(3) Should I put tile ‘slips’ at the end of each course? As they would not be ‘hanging’ from a batten would they need fixing in place with mortar underneath and then held by the hip tile mortar? I am a bit concerned about this as the overlap of the baby hips is not that great- would the tile slips, slip?
Hopefully, you are able to access a picture.
Any thoughts?

Also, I am able to access the roof to tile it but will need to get onto it to mortar the hip tiles and install the lead flashing at the side abutment.

They are plain concrete tiles. Am I likely to break them?
Lastly, should I use mortar or mastic to point up the lead flashing?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Why are you having trouble with the bond?

Is it a hip roof?

If so, you tile away from the hips and cut up the middle.

Thanks for the information, so far.
As I am getting towards the top of the roof, I am finding it difficult to keep the bond:
(1) Can I put in a tile slip, like the one shown in the photo? The side lap of the tiles is 55mm and therefore does not need a lead soaker .
(2) Should I adjust the bond so that the layout is shifted along a bit and not in line with the lower courses ?
(3) Should I put tile ‘slips’ at the end of each course? As they would not be ‘hanging’ from a batten would they need fixing in place with mortar underneath and then held by the hip tile mortar? I am a bit concerned about this as the overlap of the baby hips is not that great- would the tile slips, slip?
Hopefully, you are able to access a picture.
Any thoughts?

Also, I am able to access the roof to tile it but will need to get onto it to mortar the hip tiles and install the lead flashing at the side abutment.

They are plain concrete tiles. Am I likely to break them?
Lastly, should I use mortar or mastic to point up the lead flashing?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi, this sounds interesting and I hope someone jumps in to answer your question here. Would you mind telling me how you get on your roof and how hard of a job it is working at that height? Thanks in advance

You run up the hips first.

First thing to do is set out the eaves course in relation to the first hip as these sit below the first hip course. It is important that the bond is worked out and you end up with a pointed eaves cut at the hip.

You then mortar bed and fix the fist hip tile centrally on the hip using the adjacent tiles as a height guide. Run say 3 tiles out from the hip.

Repeat this all the way up the hip. You may need to cut the tiles against the hip depending on how good the hip tiles sit against the pitch of your roof.

The hip tiles will bond your tiles.

Tile from the hip into the middle. We often bed the ridge as we tile along then lay the last ridge and tile DOWN from the ridge. Tricky at first but easy once you have done one. You need a supply of tile'n' halfs for this part of the job.

This method avoids having to clamber over the tiles.

Don't forget lead soakers at abutments.

You then fix your stepped cover flashing once the tiles are laid.

Sponsored Links
You then mortar bed and fix the fist hip tile centrally on the hip.

Just to add: Don't be tempted into shoving the hip tile either left or right of center just to suit the tiles either side, because your hip will end up meandering like a scenic railway.

If needs be CUT THE TILES.

Thanks Noseall, invaluable information. It has provided me with some useful guidance and something I will certainly apply. Unfortunately, I have already tiled part of the hip so won't be able to install the hip tiles in the manner you suggested, although I think I will be able to install the rest of the tiles according to your method.

Thomas, re: access to the roof. I have a set of ladders which can be configured in different ways. The roof is too big to access all of it from the 'ladders/platform' and I am concerned about walking on the tiles as I am quite heavy. I may be able to access more of the roof, if I hire a platform, which I can draw level with of the porch wall, and I can access the ridge from a window just above it. I will try and install as much lead flashing as I can without getting onto the roof. I will probably have to walk on the tiles to install the 'baby' hip tiles.

Hope this helps. If you need more info, let me know.

Re: lead flashing silicon or mortar?

If needs be, you can strip out a section of tiles creating a kind of 'ladder' up the roof.

Don't however strip out a section that has complicated cuts. Be sure that you strip a section with whole tiles only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back