Home automation stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any of you folks no much about home automation installations??

Would like to put in a system(s) , budget allowing of course, to centralise control over lighting, security, entry system, CCTV, A/V and heating as well as maybe computer.

It has been suggested to fllod wire with CAT 5 which I understand has many uses.

Any one know how I would go about getting someone to design what was needed?? Is it more likely that I will have to go to multiple people??

Any advice appreciated

D

Sponsored Links
Flood wire with cat 5 and have a few outlets in each room. Also run a couple of hi-grade co-ax cables to each room. You nee dto plan what you're having where at first fix stage, since this will determine what's going where.

Run all the coax and cat5 to a central data cupboard where the servers will be. Preferably a dedicated little room.

Thanks guys. There seems , as usual , to be so many options. I am right in thinking that you stick a server in the server room that for example runs the lights. You then have a sensor , touch screen, or indeed a laptop on the network that can use the interface to the server to control the lights??

As for A/V the principal is the same but instead of a light being on the end its a TV screen or a speaker??

Is it the same for CCTV , heating etc??

D

Sponsored Links
dunny said:
Thanks guys. There seems , as usual , to be so many options. I am right in thinking that you stick a server in the server room that for example runs the lights. You then have a sensor , touch screen, or indeed a laptop on the network that can use the interface to the server to control the lights??

As for A/V the principal is the same but instead of a light being on the end its a TV screen or a speaker??

Is it the same for CCTV , heating etc??

D
the website posted has lots of useful information that will help you decide on your options, it just takes a while to plough through it all ;) hope it helps.

dunny said:
Found this-

http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/litejet-complete-lighting-control-system-p-1135.html

It appears to be able to control 24 'loads' from 6 locations as well as apply 'scenes' etc. Seems quite reasonable for the money.

Does 24 'loads' mean 24 individual lights or 24 'circuits' - any idea??
unfortunately your link isn't working properly but normally load means circuits such as lighting for example so it could be 24 lights, each light of load up to the rating per circuit of the controller or multiple lights per circuit up to the rated load per circuit.

Can handle 70A I believe but not sure how this equates to lighting circuits??

D

dunny said:
Can handle 70A I believe but not sure how this equates to lighting circuits??

D
could you repost a working link so we can see for ourselves.

Tim the link works for me, not sure why it doesnt for you, however....

Go to the first part of the link www.uk-automation.co.uk

Click lighting control
Click New Builds
Click Centralite LiteJet

THanks

D

dunny said:
Tim the link works for me, not sure why it doesnt for you, however....

Go to the first part of the link www.uk-automation.co.uk

Click lighting control
Click New Builds
Click Centralite LiteJet

THanks

D
Ok, it states 24 loads so from that one can say it's 24 controlled circuits not exceeding total load of 70A. it will involve bringing back pairs from all the lighting points you wish to control back to the central relay panel.

tim west said:
Ok, it states 24 loads so from that one can say it's 24 controlled circuits not exceeding total load of 70A. it will involve bringing back pairs from all the lighting points you wish to control back to the central relay panel.

So if I have got this right I could have a maximum of 24 circuits (e.g. an upstairs a downstairs and an outside one) as long as max load didnt exceed 70A. I guess to get maximum controllability I would really need a circuit per room ??

Is 70A adequate for a large 4 bed barn with outside lighting do you think??

Would I also have conventional light switches just in case there was a failure of the MCP unit.

Seems like a cracking piece of kit for the price...

D

Oh Bernard.....

Please be sensible :LOL: - are you saying yes?? I guess I could put a switch in and always leave it on - the MCP would then control each circuit but in the event of failure by pass MCP and have conventional lighting??

D

My answer is YES

I would wire a standard 2 way switch for each light. One way connects the light to the control system and the other connects the light to live.

If the control system goes haywire you turn it off and the switch then operates the light as normal. It also means that should you decide to sell the house it is relative simple task to revert the electrics to "normal" operation without the control system.

My experience fo control systems is that most do not satisfy the end user.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back