Home automation stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understood and seems like a good idea.

Why do the automation systems not satisfy the end user out of interest (and as I will be spending 5k on one!!!!)

D

Sponsored Links
The end user and the supplier need to sit down and spend a long time discussing life style and how the system will fit into the life style of the end user. Think of how it will cope with the un-expected.

The extreme example of a problem that had to be considered is :-

Without naming names one top of the range bespoke system provide auto follow of music as people moved from room to room. This required people to carry an ID tag with them. It also controlled lights if it detected a tag in a dark room. If two people with diferent music following them went into the same room at the same time the system had to decide whose music choice took preference. Should it be the husband's choice or the wife's choice that was given preference.

I see. I dont think I need it that sophisticated. Just central (but distributed if you see what I mean) over lights and AV (including CCTV) and probably heating as well.

Many people used to put Cat 5 runs into rooms for home networks but I prefer wireless.

Someone suggested flood wiring Cat 5 anyway with a couple of sockets in each room - good idea for telephones maybe??

D

dunny said:
Many people used to put Cat 5 runs into rooms for home networks but I prefer wireless.
D

Wireless should be the last option considered. If the equipment is fixed then cable. Hand held cordless remote controls can use infra red.

Wireless communication can be affected by other users, vandals with transmitters and other disruptive sources can mess things up.

Sponsored Links
bernardgreen said:
Wireless communication can be affected by other users, vandals with transmitters and other disruptive sources can mess things up.
True, however, if you're having wireless controls, opt for WIFI controls. Saves having to point at an IR reciever etc. The WIFI bases can be hidden in the loft or in cupboards.

Crafty said:
The WIFI bases can be hidden in the loft or in cupboards.

Or, you could get an IR reciever built into the HA controller next to your light switch ;)

IMGP1581.jpg

(The bottom middle little square)

bernardgreen said:
My answer is YES

I would wire a standard 2 way switch for each light. One way connects the light to the control system and the other connects the light to live.

To save me searching do you know of a controller that takes a 230V analog input?

Pensdown said:
To save me searching do you know of a controller that takes a 230V analog input?

What I was suggesting was the lamp have the option via the switch of being connected to [1] the output of the controller or [2] the live supply.

For 230v inputs (ON/OFF state) I use Opto22 G4 series.

I have yet to find a need for 230 volt analogue inputs. But if I did I would divide down to 23 volts and use a 24 volt analogue input

Cheers Bernard, I've got a use for a small controller that takes a 230V input so I'll look that one up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back