Home builder won't follow plans

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our blueprints say housewrap and he says he only does what code says he has to do. He wants 1/2" on roof where our plans say 5/8" with clips. Drywall says 5/8" he says he doing 1/2". His bid does not say he can alter the plans, but says that's how they build to code. The house is custom not a spec home. His housewrap was only only the bottom and then the block laid was off square and the framing is sitting 3" off at an angle and they said it was still structurally sound. What do we do?

Sponsored Links
Code is an absolute minimum, your plans are obviously spec'd to a higher standard and that is what the builder should be following. As per Chappers I'd suggest getting a new builder that can actually follow plans.

mine did not follow it either, we had to compromise as he had started the job.

Sponsored Links
You're lucky, our drawings basically specced to building regs, but the builder didn't even manage that at first. Hopefully things will be OK in the end. I don't think small building companies every do it exactly, you'd basically pay double for a company that does it to a tee

I hate to point it out BUT?

The O/Post came from America? according to the Logo on the O/P tag?

Can we here in the UK give meaningful responses? given we here [in the UK] do not understand the USAs codes?

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back