Home insurance claim - any experiance ?

£30K???? I could fix it myself for £3k. I'm in the wrong job. Enjoy your nice shiny new boiler (that was a scrapper anyway - you said that yourself.)

I'll just keep on paying higher premiums to help you out. :rolleyes:

My house repairs cost the insurance 18k and the flood I had wasnt as bad as the OP, by the sounds of it anyway

Sponsored Links
Tell you what Joe-90 , if you can strip 4 rooms of old plaster , remove ceilings , replace ceilings and then replaster all , wallpaper and fit a new kitchen for 3k , I'll split the difference with you , and that will pay your inflated insurance premiums for the next 20yrs .

Snico - the 18k , did you just give them the keys and let them do it or did you take the money. If you took the money was it the first figure they came up with or is there room for negotiation ?

Tell you what Joe-90 , if you can strip 4 rooms of old plaster , remove ceilings , replace ceilings and then replaster all , wallpaper and fit a new kitchen for 3k ,

That's my day job. I renovate for a living. I guess you just wanted your house renovating for free eh? Oldest trick in the book.

Tell you what Joe-90 , if you can strip 4 rooms of old plaster , remove ceilings , replace ceilings and then replaster all , wallpaper and fit a new kitchen for 3k , I'll split the difference with you , and that will pay your inflated insurance premiums for the next 20yrs .

Snico - the 18k , did you just give them the keys and let them do it or did you take the money. If you took the money was it the first figure they came up with or is there room for negotiation ?

No I dont think they would let you take the money :LOL:

The only money they sent me was the living allowances, electricity bill and the money for the kitchen appliances that I paid for. Everything else was paid directly to the contractors by the loss adjustors. I did get a small say in what contractors where used

Sponsored Links
Well Joe90 - I would hate to see a house you've renovated, if you can do 30k of work for 3.

We have spent a lot of time and money on the house, well over the 30k of damage , and we're in the process of selling it , so had no reason to pump a shed load of water in for a bit of new wall paper.

You must have a very happy life , since you are surrounded by scammers and cynics !

So , to set the record straight , the only winners out of this process are the people who are buying our house , who have said they will wait , they will get the benefit of the work and pick there own wallpaper for nothing.

Snico - thanks for advise.

Vort, your story is sounding increasingly dodgy to be honest. Your original post //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=209315 dated 13 Jan 2010
Have an old Redfyre boiler which has a problem lighting when cold. ....
I have had a local engineer out , who basically said its too old to fix , scrape it and he could fit a nice new shinney on for 2-3k . I took it as I don't know anything about this boiler !!

gave no indication that a flood had taken place prior to it's posting - dated 8 Feb 2010:
Obviously I emptied about 300 gallons of water into my house just to get a new boiler. Its what you want when you go away for Christmas to come back to your house with water running out of your front door.
So for the price of a replacement boiler I have completely wreaked half of my house , that seems like a good idea

Finally, you now add in a new parameter that a sale is in place,
We have spent a lot of time and money on the house, well over the 30k of damage , and we're in the process of selling it , so had no reason to pump a shed load of water in for a bit of new wall paper.
So , to set the record straight , the only winners out of this process are the people who are buying our house , who have said they will wait , they will get the benefit of the work and pick there own wallpaper for nothing.

and since these things tend to take time, why were you looking to fix a boiler (and the associated pipework) that had already been destroyed by a flood and had been agreed to be replaced by the insurers? Also the pre-damaged boiler will presumably have been discussed during the negotiotation of purchase price for the house.

All in all, although I was skeptical and critical of joe's cynicism, even I'm starting to smell a rat. Your dates don't add up, and you keep changing your story.

Obviously I emptied about 300 gallons of water into my house just to get a new boiler. .
Some people will burn a house down to try and get insurance.

The only winner is you, who had 30k of work done for free, which then enabled you to sell your house for market value.

If your insurance company had read ALL your posts, along with the relevant dates, as pointed out by dextrous, You would be in for a visit.

Back