Taking out home emergency insurance ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or experience with home emergency insurance? For cover such as boiler (electric) problems, plumbing, things like that?

I've been looking but a bit overwhelmed with anything insurance related.

JC

Sponsored Links
You might as well wipe your a7se with the notes and flush them down the loo.

Get a reliable collection of tradesmen and put the money into some form of high interest saving scheme - you then do not have to worry about the exclusions in contracts which these companies use to get out of tricky jobs.

Agree with Dan, waste of money. With all the things that you have in a house, you need to put something by to look after them. Not all of them (if any) will go wrong, but to insure them all will cost a fortune.

Statistically, your heating system will need £200 or a bit less spending on it every 6 years or so. Work out for yourself how much you would pay in premiums in that time.

Sponsored Links
Unless you have an Ideal Isar boiler :eek: Then take out ideals extra warranty asap :eek:

Or if its a Saunier Duval.

But even so they will wriggle out by saying the spares are not available! ( Even though I can get any part I wanted )

Tony

Dan_Robinson said:
You might as well wipe your a7se with the notes and flush them down the loo.

Get a reliable collection of tradesmen and put the money into some form of high interest saving scheme - you then do not have to worry about the exclusions in contracts which these companies use to get out of tricky jobs.

Dan, what even say B G :?: my sis in law has signed up with them about £15 a month homecare cover, she is single with 4 kids she says its for peace of mind so is that a waste of money :?:
ive got her out of trouble a few times eg new pump/ M valve overheating boiler new rad etc. maybe she should have stuck with her handyman and saved her money :)

Especially BG - I was trying to be diplomatic in my first reply.

One example - out of many - is a customer who used to use our own maintencace contract company (will comment on this later but have to go to work); until that is we closed it. We carried on doing landlord's gas safety certs annually, then one year the phone stopped.

Out of the blue the owner called in, rather sheepish saying that water was plssing through the celing and that BG would not cover it because it was a lead pipe that was leaking.

The repair for that was less than the £300 odd quid he had wasted on the contract - and they had the nerve to put the premium up the following year.

The ironic thing was we told him that had we continued to run our contracts he would have been covered.

Also we said that this was almost certainly going to happen again unless he got the lead removed. Three months later..... well you can imagine. But BG still got another £50 or whatever out of him. Our advice was not heeded.

Their Ideal Response 120 has not had it's combustion cover removed since we last servcied it either - after all a safety/performance check must be more than adequate mustn't it.

Peace of mind my a7se. Ignorance if bliss more like.

poshman said:
Dan, what even say B G :?: my sis in law has signed up with them about £15 a month homecare cover, she is single with 4 kids she says its for peace of mind so is that a waste of money :?:
I don't know, the BG condemned my mum boiler last year and turned the gas off and walked off the job, got a 2nd opinion from a corgi, it was a simple job to sort it out :!:
BG wanted to put a new boiler in :!: Have now cancelled the contract.

Dan_Robinson said:
Also we said that this was almost certainly going to happen again unless he got the lead removed. Three months later..... well you can imagine. But BG still got another £50 or whatever out of him. Our advice was not heeded.

Unfortunately there is a class of person who takes out emergency insurance and then never gets anything uprgaded or replaced however bad it gets!

One fellow actually said the me " Why should I get it serviced? If it goes wrong its fixed on the emergency cover! "

Tony

took mine out with black horse did'nt see dick turpin sitting on him till boiler went wrong, do as others said put money in bank and pay as you go, (or when things go wrong)

Agile said:
Or if its a Saunier Duval.

But even so they will wriggle out by saying the spares are not available! ( Even though I can get any part I wanted )

Tony

Tony mate, I have a big box of Sauny spares if you're intersted ;).

Sponsored Links
Back