Home emergency insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get some sort of emergency cover for the electrics and plumbing in my flat.
I know there is a few companies that do it. But, have any of you had experience of using one or could recommend one ?
Any stories to tell .:cool:

Sponsored Links
I had a policy through my bank for emergencies. They covered for 2 hours labour and £200 for parts, it was free with the account (well it came with the account, I still paid for it)

I had a leak under the bath which was some sort of regulator on the shower. Called them and they sent someone out within 1 hour.

It took the guy 10 minutes to isolate the leak, I said I want it replaced and he said it will take more than 2 hours......I told him you are talking rubbish!

I rung the bank and complained about it, after a couple of weeks they eventually gave in and sent someone to replace the part. The contractor they used did not have is contract renewed.

Suppose if you go with a company that specifically deals with insurance the service would be better

One of my customers asked me recently whether or not I thought this type of insurance was worth while. I think it was costing her around £200 per year to cover drains, roof, plumbing, electrics etc.

My first question to her was how many times had she needed to get her drain unblocked in her lifetime - her answer was 'never'.

Then I asked how likely was it that her roof would leak - she told me that the roof was only two years old.

Then I asked her what she would do if she had a water leak - she said she would ring Me (plumber)

Also the house had been re-wired recently so unlikely to have any problems there.

The only thing possibly worthwhile insuring was the boiler which the company promise to service every year, although they never contact her about it - she has to contact them and when they do service it, they only spend about ten minutes on it.

Then I asked her if she had building insurance, which she did.

I'm not saying that this type of insurance is a bad idea, but just consider the likelyhood of something going wrong and if it does go wrong, is it covered by your house insurance anyway.

Another customer of mine had a heavy leak on a radiator. He rang me and asked if I could have a look at it. The quickest I could get to him was for hours later. His heating insuance comany had told him four days.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you have a working stop cock in your property, test it every 6 months. Know how to turn off your fuse box.

Then put £10 a month into a saving account and wait for an emergency.

Andy

Back