Should i claim on insurance for water leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short, had a water leak about the kitchen ceiling following the change from gravity fed system to a combi boiler, 3 months after it was fitted, a plastic push-fit elbow that leads to the shower blew off, and pulled the kitchen ceiling down.

Panicked (never claimed on inusrance in 20 years), got it sorted etc and phoned insurance company who said £450 excess, and to send 3 quotes to them. My plasterer said he will redo kitchen ceiling all made good for £250 max if i want to do that.

Our bathroom (directly above the kitchen) is very tired and one wall the tiles are missing anyway (when we replaced the shower last year), so i was thinking can i get some of this repair covered in the insurance quote? (I know not directly linked). Was hoping to get 1 or 2 walls retiled etc in the quote, but im really struggling ot get anyone to come round to price the work up (Im on the Herts/Essex border).

Is it because I say i need the quotes for the insurance company, is that scaring the traders off?

And will the insurance company send out an assessor if the quote is say, £1000 or £1500.

Or do i pay for the ceiling myself, and for the new bathroom (which we do really want to get)

Sponsored Links
I would think they will send out an assessor if they think you are 'playing the game'.
It is difficult to see how a water leak could affect the tiles on a wall that is above the leak, although high humidity could be blamed.
A new bathroom is taking the michael.
If you are really 'playing the game' you could find yourself in trouble with the police.

Otherwise for a small claim, probably not.

yes please be careful claiming more than was damaged is at best dishonest at worst defrauding or theft a criminal offense
they have all sorts off techniques and electronic gadgitary to annalize your voice nowadays

Thanks guys, you've both confirmed what i was thinking anyway... Not worth the risk or hassle. I'll be pestering the forum on advice for the new bathroom now

Sponsored Links
remember you may get caught and they take no further action --------------
-------except you may be on an insurance list that stops you getting cover for many things like car insurance

Back