Home Network

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just taken in 2 lodgers and would like to share my 8Mbps bulldog connection. I do not want to go wireless as I don't trust the security.

I currently have a BT Voyager 205 router which I am very happy with - excellent reliability and performance. I use it with ethernet, not USB as I was told this is the best way. I am led to believe that all I need to do is connect it directly to a "switch" and cable my own machine and the other two to the switch.

Looking around on eBay for the bits I need has brought up a couple of queries. Firstly, which cables do I need - there appear to be two types "patch" and "crossover", I am unsure of the difference. I assume that the current ethernet cable I have from the router to the PC will need to go from the router to the switch - so to connect the three machines what do I need to buy?

Secondly, I found this:
eBay link

Seems to do everything I need, and saves me having to buy network cards for the other two machines. Is this the best value solution? I still think I would be one cable short, which one would I need?

Hope I've explained myself well enough!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Crossover cables are used to directly connect two PCs without using a hub/switch, so for your purposes, they would be no good.

You've basically cracked it.

If your router only has a single ethernet port, then you will need a hub or switch with at least 3 ports and with prices being low, the latter would be better. You then connect the router and PCs to the switch using patch cables and that's the wiring done. The only problem with using made up patch leads is that they can be awkward to route, but that will depend on your layout.

Wireless security is fine if you opt for WPA/WPA2 or AES for security. In fact, although WEP security is weak, combined with MAC address filtering and turning of SSID broadcasts will protect you from all but the dedicated hacker. I can almost guarantee that there will be unprotected networks in your area which make easy targets.

The kit looks ok, but you might find that your guests PCs already have network adaptors or are using laptops.

Sounds good to me.

I'm still not convinced by wireless, I need total reliability and fortunately the layout of the flat does lend itself to a wired setup with pre-made cables, just a case of making two small holes in a stud wall and covering with a blanking plate.

Next question - how does a switch actually work? I know I'll lose some of the speed by sharing it, but I'm guessing that will only be if two machines are downloading a file (or whatever) at exactly the same time. As most of the time spend browsing the web is actually "idle time", there won't be a significant difference, will there?

Last question - just to be absolutely certain re cables. So the current cable between router and PC is a "patch" cable - I reroute this to the switch and get three more patch cables for each PC - right?

ninebob said:
Sounds good to me.

I'm still not convinced by wireless, I need total reliability and fortunately the layout of the flat does lend itself to a wired setup with pre-made cables, just a case of making two small holes in a stud wall and covering with a blanking plate.

Next question - how does a switch actually work? I know I'll lose some of the speed by sharing it, but I'm guessing that will only be if two machines are downloading a file (or whatever) at exactly the same time. As most of the time spend browsing the web is actually "idle time", there won't be a significant difference, will there?

Last question - just to be absolutely certain re cables. So the current cable between router and PC is a "patch" cable - I reroute this to the switch and get three more patch cables for each PC - right?

Yes, you shouldn't notice a great deal of difference in speed, for the reasons you have mentioned.

I would assume it to be a patch cable, but as routers/switches can have auto-sensing ports, it could be either. You would need to test it, or at least identify the wiring to be absolutely certain.

Sponsored Links
ninebob said:
I think it does the same job as a hub, (just another name?). The speed will depend on the traffic like you say.

Yes

A switch is the same as a bridge, which tracks which devices are on which ports and only forwards data frames to the relevant port. A hub is a multiport repeater which simply blindly retransmits all data in one port out of all the other ports. Unles you understand the concepts in the OSI 7 layer model thats as far as I'm going to go on that one.... ;)

baldy01 said:
A switch is the same as a bridge, which tracks which devices are on which ports and only forwards data frames to the relevant port. A hub is a multiport repeater which simply blindly retransmits all data in one port out of all the other ports. Unles you understand the concepts in the OSI 7 layer model thats as far as I'm going to go on that one.... ;)

Yeah, 'cos it's really complicated. Anyhow, TCP/IP doesn't conform to the 7 Layer OSI model it conforms to a 5 layer model.

It might be worth mentioning that I originally made this topic in MAY, and that I have now solved the problem as suggested in the first post, with the kit from ebay.

Cool, glad you got it sorted.

Yeah, 'cos it's really complicated. Anyhow, TCP/IP doesn't conform to the 7 Layer OSI model it conforms to a 5 layer model.

Technically your spot on, although the TCPIP model never formalised the concept of layers, that was done by the OSI. In fact TCP/IP does conform to the OSI model, or should I say the OSI model was designed to encompass the TCP/IP structure , as it came first, by allowing empty layers or allowing layers to be combined. Its just a generic conceptual framework, not a design as such.

Eddie M said:
TCP/IP doesn't conform to the 7 Layer OSI model it conforms to a 5 layer model.
I'm curious - which 5 layer model are you referring to, and which layers?

That would appear to be the OSI model with the Session and Presentation layers ripped out.

I'm still interested in knowing what "Eddie M" thought he was referring to, unless he and Igorian are the same person... :confused:

Softus said:
I'm still interested in knowing what "Eddie M" thought he was referring to, unless he and Igorian are the same person... :confused:

can't be same person

images

Eddie M

images

Igor(ian)

sorry fellas I just had to

The TCP model is older that OSI. The problem with it, is that it is not totally universal.

Oh, and no, i'm not. :D

Igorian said:
The TCP model is older that OSI.
Indeed so, but I don't think that's relevant to Eddie M's point.

The problem with it, is that it is not totally universal.
Nor was it intended to be. It's a model; a starting point; something on which to model a design; something that makes differences and deviations easier to discuss and understand.

Oh, and no, i'm not. :D

Yeah, you would say that. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back