Home TV Setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so apologies if not.

I have an idea of how I would like to install / setup my home TV in my living room, however I need some help / advice on how to do this, as I plan on doing all of the DIY myself. I have created a very rough outline of what I had in mind and below is a key for each element:

1) 2 Besta IKEA units (wall mounted and off the floor) It's worth noting that the space next to the units is purposely empty, as it will house the pouffe.
2) A custom sized wood effect laminate worktop.
3) A custom sized full width shelf.
4) A back board that comes out slightly from the wall, to allow the hidden wiring from the TV to the power units / XBOX, DVD player etc, that will be housed in the Besta units (point 1). I am planning on having LED lights around the edges (not right at the edges, maybe around 20 cm in that will be part of the frame.
5) 50" TV that will have an extendable wall mount to come away from the wall and swivel.
6) A sonos sound bar.

Plan.png

I am comfortable creating most of this setup, however my main question is around point 4 on the sketch above. Please see below what I am unsure about:

1) How should the frame be built and how thick should this extend out from the wall, as want to keep this to a minimum, but obviously want to ensure this would cover all wiring needed. I am also not sure whether the TV wall mount should be mounted to the wall and a hole cut around it, or whether this should be on the plasterboard that is over the frame?
2) To keep the wiring hidden, would I need the besta units to be connected to the back board too? If not, I take it that the back board would have to sit on top of the worktop to keep the wiring hidden?
3) If I am having stuff like an XBOX, DVD player etc housed in the unit, do I have to consider any type of ventilation for the heat?
4) I have a YouView box which will be in the unit too - how would I go about changing the channels for it? I have seen options out there, but wondering what everyone else would suggest for this?

Apologies for the large post, but obviously want to ensure I get this right, so any help would be massively appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I've not done anything like this but I'll stick my oar in anyway.

1. Frame can be as thick or as thin as you want. I'd think about access to cables if you needed to change devices or setup. A swivel mount as you've suggested would make things easier. You would need either battens behind the board to support the mount, or attach directly to the wall. I personally wouldn't screw the mount into the backboard only. If mounting to battens, the strength required will then determine the thickness of the frame.

2. If the backboard is affixed to the wall, you don't really need to fix it to the besta units as well. Also gives you the freedom to remove and change the units in future. I imagine you'd install the units first, then build the frame up to the units so it sits nice and flush.

3. Ventilation - check the requirements for the devices about how much space they need. You could think about vents installed into the sides of units for passive ventilation. If it's very enclosed, think about adding small cooling fans for active ventilation.

4. I don't know how the youview remote communicates with the box. If it's IR like typical remote controls, you can get IR blasters or repeater units.

Sponsored Links
For using the YouView in the closed Cabinet I use a "IR extender" or "Remote repeater".

I actually use the £9.99 USB version shown here, permanently powered by an old Phone Charger (did not want to power it using TV as might damage TV and wanted it powered all the time)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=IR+extender&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
Put the IR detector near bottom of screen (as this is what people point remotes at),
stick repeater LED on back of cupboard doors pointing at equipment or directly onto device where its R sensor is.

My amp and YouView does create heat, so for cooling I have some large holes in back of cabinet that are sized larger than a Mains plug so can also easily pass them through when needed.

Have two large extension sockets (8 gang and 4 gang I think).
All the things I can switch off at socket (when say on holiday) are plugged into one.
All the things best left on (YouView, IR extender) are in the other.
Then only need to switch off one socket to switch off most of the devices.

SFK

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back