Home wireless alarm system **ADVICE PLS!**

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! I have been looking at a few systems and have been proposed the following for my 3 bed semi.

I would like to be able to control via an app if possible and i was also looking at this wifi module, rather than the Comms ip module the supplier is proposing at 120!
http://www.cctvcentral.co.uk/texecom-premier-elite-com-wifi-cek-0001-1825-p.asp

Are the units different? Is this system good and reliable? The quote is around £800, extra with the comms unit if i want that...

Texecom premier Ricochet system [Wireless]

Ground Floor

One Surface mount door contact to be fitted to front door.

One Infrared pir detector to be fitted in hallway.

One infrared pir detector to be fitted in lounge area.

One Impact plus detector to be fitted to kitchen doors.

One infrared pir detector to be fitted in kitchen.

One Impact plus detector to be fitted to utility room door
1st Floor

One infrared pir detector to be fitted 1st floor landing.

One impact plus detector to be fitted to rear bedroom window.

Control Equipment

One Premier 48 Control panel to be fitted in approved position

One Premier proximity keypad to be fitted in hallway.

Five proximity setting fobs to be supplied.

Sounder Equipment

One external siren to be fitted front elevation (wired bell).

One Internal sounder to be fitted in hallway.

One Decoy siren box to be fitted rear elevation.

Extras if required:

Comms IP unit £120

Extra keyfobs £32

Sponsored Links
Don't forget you don't just plug on the com IP and it works ! It can involve a bit of work to get it up and running !

Don't think the price you have been quoted is that bad, does that include or exclude VAT?

I would opt for comip first then com wifi in order of preference, depends on installation the comip is twice the price roughly of the com wifi.

Thanks for the advice guys. So this is a good system? Price is what I've been quoted for install so assume it is with vat.

I have a budget of about 900 tops so I think I will go for the commIP if that's better than other options (what's different).

Also been quoted on Visonic PowerMax, Pyronix enforcer and homeconnect+ and scantronic ion. Some cheaper than the texecom some more.

Am I choosing the best system from those?

Is the texecom app any good? Should I bother with the IP extra? Sounds like it's not a bad price for it?

Sponsored Links
I install Texecom Kit and Risco Agility 3.

The com ip uses Ethernet cable, com wifi needs to log into your wireless router, the function other than that is the same.

Without seeing the prices versus the system spec comparing isn't so simple. As you can price those systems up online you can estimate what the installer is paying to but each kit.

I will be considering the enforcer ip system when the cameras become available (approx. Christmas time), until then the Texecom system and the Agility 3 systems offer the spread of features my customers want.

Think the Texecom App is okay and functional but not as pretty as the system itself looks.

Thanks again so much for replying. If all the systems I mention were priced the same, which should I go for??

The risco looks good but I assume costly?

Lastly. I am hoping the installer puts the control unit under my stairs. This is nowhere near my router. I don't want a massive cable trailing over to router - is this what would be needed with the commIP unit whereas the wifi would be wireless - installer saying wifi one is "less secure" in his words

The texecom phone app and WiFi/ComIP module are not secure. If you intend using on public wifi or the internet then be aware that nothing is encrypted. All transmissions and codes are sent in plain text. For low risk home use this probably isn't much of an issue, but for anything else it is a problem.

The system is to be installed in my home. If it isn't encrypted is this why the commIP is considered more secure than wifi? Trying to decide what to get installed here. Could obvs leave that element out altogether and just go for the other bits

The only difference is hard wired connection is more reliable.

If you want a secure connection you need to use vpn

Thanks alarmwatch. This is going beyond my knowledge now!

Which comms units are compatible/available for the ricochet wireless system? Are all of these compatible?
http://www.texe.com/uk/products/series/communicators/premier-elite-series/

Seen lots of units on eBay and the like...and some are cheap!
Texecom CEJ-0001 COM IP
Texecom Premier Elite Com2400 (v cheap - like £10!)
Texecom Premier Elite COM300 CTR21 Communicator
Premier Elite ComWiFi

I would rather not have a ton of cables running around from the control unit which is likely to be under the stairs, to my router which is in my living room and will be nowhere near the One Premier 48 Control panel...

Use COM-IP or the Com-WiFi.

Use a VPN to connect if you want to keep secure.

With all the protocol in plain text and registration open access it will probably not be long before Texecom is hacked to send fake push notifications to all the phones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back