Homemade water heater

So I am lost hear with your electrical theory. Your saying that a typical electrical boiler is going to draw 45amps out of a 13amp circuit at 10kw???

No what I ment by combi boiler is the example given of minimum speck of 25kg, that heat would be for central heating as well as a shower as well

Sponsored Links
45amps out of a 13amp circuit at 10kw???
45 amps from a 45 amp circuit. 45A x 230v = 10kW. A typical electric shower.

A 3kW water heater connected to a 13A outlet will be useless as a shower - more typical as one of those feeble 2 litre per minute spray arm things mounted above a single basin.
Even that would still be far better than that camping stove contraption.

Combi boilers use 100% of their power for heating hot water. They can also heat water for radiators, but it's one or the other - not both at the same time.

Yes, about as technically advanced as a WB boiler, without the sharp bits!! German engineering my arze!!

Sponsored Links
is this on the cooker ringmain or am I missing something hear

There is no circuit called a 'cooker ring main'. There's a ring final which is usually the 'power circuit' (sockets) in a house. The cooker is usually a dedicated radial circuit due to the high continuous load. An electric shower (mains water heated by electricity) is also a dedicated radial circuit

100% Optimist :mrgreen:. like the mist of warm water droplets that come out of the flue along with warmed air and combustion products........:mrgreen:

Whilst in pedantic mode, the boiler will be using 100% of it's input power whilst high demand for hot water exists - it may not convert all that power into hot water though.

100% Optimist :mrgreen:. like the mist of warm water droplets that come out of the flue along with warmed air and combustion products........:mrgreen:
I fear that you do not understand what has been stated. When heating domestic hot water, a combi will use 100% of its input to heat the water, not split it between water and room heating.

Here's something to keep you busy, calculations for water heating for an on-demand heater. Lots of power needed. For most central heating systems the pipe size will allow only 13kW to flow round the pipes, so the high power is needed for DHW heating.

a combi will use 100% of its input to heat the water, not split it between water and room heating.

100% of the output is used to heat the water, in the majprity of domestic gas boilers some of the input is lost up the flue sp useful output is lower than the input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back