Gledhill Boilermate II - how does it work ?

Water Systems said:
nickso said:
use the expansion pipe on the left hand side to temporarily fill it if you want....there is no danger in doing that.....however you have to remember that you may have a burst heat exchanger on your suprima so all the water you put in may pour out at the boiler. on the other hand it may have come through the flue and there will be no leak.

do it slowly and check the suprima constantly

What Suprima? He does not mention a Suprima in the post. This is a troll thread by the unvented cylinder ticket Corgi sharks.

calm down you idiot....he has another thread running which mentions his suprima :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Water Systems said:
HarrogateGas said:
Personally id repiar the Gledhill and get the boiler replaced, if maintained the Boilermate system is a fantastic way of delivering mains pressure hot water and giving almost instant heat to the radiators.

You have just been unlucky, if well inhibited and topped up ever 4 years with 4 litres of inhibitor, they cause very little trouble at all.

Yep. Totally correct. The Boilermates are very reliable and deliver great DHW flowrates. DO NOT replace a Suprima with another Suprima - one of the worst boilers ever made.

Fit a Glow Worm HXi, great boiler, which has a dry fire stat in it. for protection. In hindsidht getting the Boilermate fixed and a Glow Worm installed may be a blessing in diguise.

if he wanted to get up and running quickly and very cheaply then another suprima and boilermate repair would probably be his cheapest option. if he was prepared to spend more then another boiler may be the way forward....all depends on his personal circumstances. other than the pcb ive never had many problems with the suprima.

never really understood why you have a reputation as salesman....im starting to get it now

Wow thanks guys

I must admit I never thought the toilet cistern supply should be connected to the Gledhill - just that after I flush toilet I hear water filling in the Gledhill (wishful thinking???)

I too would not touch another Potterton Suprima (repairs total more than the thing itself) - so it is a case of new boiler (Combi) and ripping out Potterton AND Gledhill Boilermate.....or trying to repair Gledhill Boilermate and just adding new boiler (not Potterton from my own experience).

I have heard all new boilers have to be condensing boilers now, but seem to remember they advised against condensing boiler with Gledhill !!???

It might be a case of start TOTALLY afresh.

If I got a combi boiler, is it the case the Gledhill could go in full - would ANYTHING be needed in its place at all - or could I get back the space that this "dalek" (as the chap called it) has taken up.

Sponsored Links
Leaking said:
Wow thanks guys

I must admit I never thought the toilet cistern supply should be connected to the Gledhill - just that after I flush toilet I hear water filling in the Gledhill (wishful thinking???)

I too would not touch another Potterton Suprima (repairs total more than the thing itself) - so it is a case of new boiler (Combi) and ripping out Potterton AND Gledhill Boilermate.....or trying to repair Gledhill Boilermate and just adding new boiler (not Potterton from my own experience).

I have heard all new boilers have to be condensing boilers now, but seem to remember they advised against condensing boiler with Gledhill !!???

If I got a combi boiler, is it the case the Gledhill could go in full - would ANYTHING be needed in its place at all - or could I get back the space that this "dalek" (as the chap called it) has taken up.

what you get is down to price and personal preference.

just be a aware that a combi is unlikely to give the same hot water service as your boilermate. like your boilermate the combi has good and bad points. best to get one with a very good flow rate if you like baths.

nickso said:
never really understood why you have a reputation as salesman....im starting to get it now

Salemen must highly technical around your way. Dumb idea going for a Suprima Dog. A boiler with dry fire stat is the way.

Leaking said:

Condensers work well with Gledhills.

Most combis cannot compete with the flowrate of a Gledhill. You may be disapointed - if flowrate is not important then go for high flowrate combi. It needs a minor repair - fix it and clean it out. New Glow Worm HXi (nice little boiler) and hey presto.

Water Systems said:
nickso said:

Salemen must highly technical around your way. Dumb idea going for a Suprima Dog. A boiler with dry fire stat is the way.

you seem to be unable to consider any option other than the one in your stubborn head.

i gave the guy some options....as it turns out he has decided not to go with another suprima....i neither agree or disagree with his decision. at least i gave him the option though.

nickso said:
just be a aware that a combi is unlikely to give the same hot water service as your boilermate. like your boilermate the combi has good and bad points. best to get one with a very good flow rate if you like baths.

The boilermate has few bad points. It also offers very fast CH warm up in the morning and buffering of CH and the boiler. Using a Grundfos Alpha pump on the CH TRVs can be on all rads and no wall stat used. Important points indeed.

I would put a Maganclean filter on the CH return pipe to the Boioer nate as a matter of course. Well worth it.

nickso said:
Water Systems said:
nickso said:

you seem to be unable to consider any option other than the one in your stubborn head.

i gave the guy some options....as it turns out he has decided not to go with another suprima....i neither agree or disagree with his decision. at least i gave him the option though.

Anyone who knows about boilers says ditch a Suprima. You are the only I know thats say they are OK.

I dont have a problem with Suprimas...........My mother-in-law has one running a Boilermate II that has been in for 8 years now. Other than putting more inhibitor in 3 years ago, it hasnt skipped a beat. Never had to reset it once or touch anything on the system. And thats with original circuit board.

Water Systems said:
nickso said:
Water Systems said:
nickso said:

Anyone who knows about boilers says ditch a Suprima. You are the only I know thats say they are OK.

did you even read the post you quoted??

i dont think suprimas are "ok". all i have said on that subject so far is i havent had any real problems with them other than the pcb. how does that mean i think suprimas are "ok" ?

for the record, other than the well worn pcb issue i dont think suprimas are any worse than your average budget boiler. i have thousands of them in estates here and all i have changed are pcb's, several gas valves, the odd heat exchanger and a few thermistors. i dont remember ever having to change a fan or an aps.

the pcb is an issue yes but i dont consider the rest to be poor reliability

Water Systems said:
nickso said:

The boilermate has few bad points. It also offers very fast CH warm up in the morning and buffering of CH and the boiler. Using a Grundfos Alpha pump on the CH TRVs can be on all rads and no wall stat used. Important points indeed.

I would put a Maganclean filter on the CH return pipe to the Boioer nate as a matter of course. Well worth it.

no problems with that...im a big fan of the well looked after boilermate.

its a pity virtually none of them have been looked after

HarrogateGas said:
I dont have a problem with Suprimas...........My mother-in-law has one running a Boilermate II that has been in for 8 years now. Other than putting more inhibitor in 3 years ago, it hasnt skipped a beat. Never had to reset it once or touch anything on the system. And thats with original circuit board.

i also know of many still running on the original pcb.

MOD 2

use the edit key please (forum rules item g) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back