Gledhill Boilermate II - how does it work ?

nickso said:
Water Systems said:
nickso said:
just be a aware that a combi is unlikely to give the same hot water service as your boilermate. like your boilermate the combi has good and bad points. best to get one with a very good flow rate if you like baths.

The boilermate has few bad points. It also offers very fast CH warm up in the morning and buffering of CH and the boiler. Using a Grundfos Alpha pump on the CH TRVs can be on all rads and no wall stat used. Important points indeed.

I would put a Maganclean filter on the CH return pipe to the Boioer nate as a matter of course. Well worth it.

no problems with that...im a big fan of the well looked after boilermate.

its a pity virtually none of them have been looked after

Many have been. Gledhill brought out the stores that only have water just sitting in the store and goes nowhere else, and heated via coil - as per the Pandora by DPS. The Systemate doesn't even need inhibitor, althouth they say put a can in if you want. Pretty foolproof.

NU-Heat and others have pressurised stores with one expansion vessel for the boiler, cylinder and CH Circuit. The inhibitor still needs topping up every 4 years, but if neglected no plane crash. The cylinders are stainless.

Sponsored Links
nickso said:
HarrogateGas said:
I dont have a problem with Suprimas...........My mother-in-law has one running a Boilermate II that has been in for 8 years now. Other than putting more inhibitor in 3 years ago, it hasnt skipped a beat. Never had to reset it once or touch anything on the system. And thats with original circuit board.

i also know of many still running on the original pcb.

MOD 2

use the edit key please (forum rules item g) ;)

i didnt make a mistake.....it was a seperate post

MOD 2

add it to your previous one then

Oh guys - sorry I started arguments :cry:

My experience of the Suprima is that it is problematic - but that doesn't mean to say it will be the same for everyone. Got it in 1997 and had a good half dozen "major" repairs (as well as annual services). I must admit it has put me off that model.

Gledhill Boilermate (put in at same time) has never had any problems at all until yesterday, but the irony is that in investigating the problem with the leaking Suprima, the guy drained the Gledhill. Alas the very act of draining the Gledhill has caused a real mess because the "silt" that had built up in the boilermate f/e tank was pulled into the system.

I don't for a second blame the guy who drained the boilermate for causing this problem - heck he was trying to stop a leaking boiler and if the boilermate had been serviced once a year (hands up - I didn't to save money) I might have been OK.

It might be that I can salvage the Gledhill (it was meant to last a lot longer than 9 years) by getting a new boiler or I might start afresh as the guy recommended and do away with BOTH and just get a new combi boiler. In reality finances will dictate it :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back