Homosexuality in 1950/60s USA

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
One never knows when the homosexual is about, he may appear normal, and it may be too late when you discover he is mentally ill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNPKHmqzAI

How narrow minded and bigoted is that...A copper came out with those statements today and they would be in a world of trouble..

It's amazing how the world can change so dramatically in so short a time..especially on something that has been socially unacceptable, and illegal for hundreds of years..

Whats jack nicholson doing playing the part of raplh? :LOL:

I have met many gayers around canal st an it doesnt rub off , ducky ...mwah ;)

joking aside ...
much respect for a gayer to come out back then ......
they were always called Local Eccentrics .. lol

Sponsored Links
Never mind the gays what about black people back then :eek: Land of the free....... :mad: KKK.an` good ole boys more like .......made the mafia look like a Tea party

ever read ''bury me heart at wounded knee'' it tells how the American Indians lost their land and lives to the white society.
sorry to stray off topic :oops:

An no gays among the redskins :eek: Only in the Village People :LOL:

Richardp said:
ever read ''bury me heart at wounded knee'' it tells how the American Indians lost their land and lives to the white society.

What has skin colour got to do with it?

notb665 said:
Richardp said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Richardp was simply referring to bigotry and discrimination in general rather than specifically a persons ethnic origin. But as someone who is originally from the US (Wisconsin) I understand the point he made about the American Indian. Their treatment is a scare and disgrace on the American people.

ETHunter said:
notb665 said:
Richardp said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Richardp was simply referring to bigotry and discrimination in general rather than specifically a persons ethnic origin. But as someone who is originally from the US (Wisconsin) I understand the point he made about the American Indian. Their treatment is a scare and disgrace on the American people.

Yeah he was, but skin colour has nothing to do with what happened in the US. It is a subtle but very important point, in my opinion.

notb665 said:
Yeah he was, but skin colour has nothing to do with what happened in the US. It is a subtle but very important point, in my opinion.

Notb665, skin color had everything to do with things, whether you believe that to be true or not.

Why do you think that the Indian Nations said things like "White man speak with forked tongue" or " No good white man ever came west of the Appalachian mountains" or " White men smile to your face, and steal your lands from behind your back"

Then there are the very many "Redskin" comments from the White European settlers who considered the Native Americans to be "Red savages", "unholy Red heathens", "Murdering Redskins" and several hundred other derogatory terms all that mention their skin color.

It is a fact that the American Indians where discriminated against for many reasons, but one of the biggest was what we would call racsism in the modern world. European and white American settlers thought themselves superior to the natives, in many cases they treated their black slaves better than captured native Indians.

And this is still happening today, most Native Americans still live on reservations, their years of campaigning for equal rights only gave them the vote AFTER African Americans. In many states of the US, Natives cannot vote in state elections if they live on a reservation, cannot work for the State Legislature if living on a reservation and a whole host of other restrictive legal technicallities.

ETHunter said:
notb665 said:

Notb665, skin color had everything to do with things, whether you believe that to be true or not.

Why do you think that the Indian Nations said things like "White man speak with forked tongue" or " No good white man ever came west of the Appalachian mountains" or " White men smile to your face, and steal your lands from behind your back"

Then there are the very many "Redskin" comments from the White European settlers who considered the Native Americans to be "Red savages", "unholy Red heathens", "Murdering Redskins" and several hundred other derogatory terms all that mention their skin color.

It is a fact that the American Indians where discriminated against for many reasons, but one of the biggest was what we would call racsism in the modern world. European and white American settlers thought themselves superior to the natives, in many cases they treated their black slaves better than captured native Indians.

And this is still happening today, most Native Americans still live on reservations, their years of campaigning for equal rights only gave them the vote AFTER African Americans. In many states of the US, Natives cannot vote in state elections if they live on a reservation, cannot work for the State Legislature if living on a reservation and a whole host of other restrictive legal technicallities.

Are you saying white people did it because they were white?

notb665 said:

Not specifically because they were white, but because the Indians were NOT

ETHunter said:
notb665 said:

Not specifically because they were white, but because the Indians were NOT

The white people did not do what happened in the US because they were white or because anyone else was any different. The Spanish and Portuguese did the same - and most of them aren't white. And why did the Vikings come to England - because they were white? Oh, the English were aswell. How does that make sense?

Colour may have got mixed up in it, but it is not the actual reason it happened.

Notty..I think what he means is that the religion of the European states meant that they felt non-europeans (which were generally classed as non-white) were "less" than they were and they had some God given right to their lands.

The actual colour of peoples skin is a bit of a Red herring, I would agree, a more accurate description is that the native Americans were discrimiated against because they were NOT Caucasians or Christians so the Europeans thought they were better than them.

However this is still racism..

Sponsored Links
Back