Cool keyboard player - Guitar

Sponsored Links
Thats amazing, I can play the guitar, thinking of getting a keyboard, but don't know if it will be a 5 minute wonder thing.

I'm always laughing at my keyboard player trying to imitate my distortion guitar sounds.

Guitar by definition is a very expressive instrument that most of the sound is created by both your left and your right hand. Especially with a rock/heavy solo there are so many sound variations. I can mute the strings with the left hand fingers and there are hundreds of different ways and angles you can pluck the guitar strings with the pick to create a different feel. Now, try to imitate that with just the velocity of a keyboard and the modulation wheel...it's not that convincing.

Great atmospheric song though...

Sponsored Links
Now, try to imitate that with just the velocity of a keyboard and the modulation wheel...it's not that convincing.

As a bass and guitar player, I'd say those are fair points. With a guitar you're manipulating the strings by hand, so you have many different parameters to vary.

The polyphonic abilities of keyboard instruments far outperform any stringed instrument by definition - all 10 digits are there to sound notes, not four fingers on the left hand (I don't do thumbs on frets, 'snot right). Plus you have more control over sustain than with a stringed instrument.

However, as someone who is picking up an old organ on Saturday I have one word for you: Leslie. ;)

Back