Honda GX120 4.0 wacker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. My drive runs near some very large trees. Every few years the roots start to push up the block paviors. The wacker has always run fine until now. Just pulled it out and tried to start it. It spun over a few times then bang, it stopped turning. Tried a few times, some times spins, other times blocked. It seems as though something is rolling about, blocks, then rolls again.
any ideas anyone please

Sponsored Links
Can you disconnect the engine from the rotating wacker weight by removing the drive belt, to see if the engine turns freely then?
John :)

The belt to the base is spinning ok. it is the top part that is locked solid.

Sponsored Links
The belt to the base is spinning ok. it is the top part that is locked solid.
Theres a centrifugal clutch on these so its normal to be able to turn the belts and lower pulley by hand.
When you pull the starter the engine should turn over without the belts moving.

Took the pully cover off, connected some leverage backwoods and it pulled free. It moves backwards / forwards one and a quarter turn before getting stuck. It isn't a knock touch, more like sliding into something and will stick if pushed on it. Same both directions.

Sorry thats as clear as mud to me so for clarity.? Did you do as John suggested and removed the belt, if not do that and see if the engine turn over properly and report back.

Yes, then it is stuck there until I take off the side panel and turn it back. When I say stuck, it feels as though it is jammed rather than hitting something.

If it hasn't been used for a long time a valve could be stuck open . I would take the recoil starter off so you have better control over turning the the engine back and forth and remove the valve cover but first take the spark plug out ,belt off and try turning over

So far, so good. Took the recoil starter cover off, plus the spark plug out. Took a chance and squirted some WD40 into it. Left it a while then moved it gentle backward and forward. It now spins OK. The spark plug works with just an occasional spark miss. It has a new carburetor fitted though no sign of fuel being drawn through. I will get some fresh petrol tomorrow and try again.
Many thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back