Honda gx160 wacker plate cuts out under load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've a wacker plate with a Honda gx160 engine, it's not been used in awhile and was hit and miss before, stripped the carb down and cleaned it all up today, it will run fine at idle which is set to about 1500rpm I've ran it like that for about 20 minutes.

As soon as you try to adjust the speed handle from tortoise to hare it stutters at the first half of lever travel then revs up at the end and cuts out after about 20 seconds.

It's not currently attached to the bottom of the wacker plate so the engine is only having to turn the output shaft and centrifugal clutch so there's no reason why it should just cut out,

Any ideas on what to check I've a feeling it will be just an adjustment somewhere with it as it runs so well at idle.

I've tried removing the fuel cap and the oil level sensor has been previously bypassed, and it had a new plug and fresh fuel today, also the air filters not that old.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Fuel level in the float chamber? Poss needle valve. Take it out and check there isn't a gummed up fuel filter. May just be letting enough fuel through to tick over but it may not be letting enough through on a higher throttle opening.

I’d certainly agree with that.....turning the fuel on and the float lowered should give a nice sprinkle of fuel.
If that’s ok, then it’s the main jet out, including the emulsion tube above it for a clean.
John :)

Fuel bowl seemed full, had main jet and emulsion tube out all pass brake cleaner nicely

Sponsored Links
Are the cross drillings also clean?

6AC40892-963A-454F-924C-8A380D006615.jpeg

It does sound like fuel starvation. Slow tickover will most likely be on a slow running jet, which then transfers to main jet when throttle opened. As it's a honda, if you can't clear it, take it to a honda dealer and get it sorted. It's a great engine and should just run.

It's a fairly basic carb and no spares are usually needed - but I wouldn't dive in without my air line and can of carb cleaner.

Took the carb apart again, cleaned everything spotlessly and then couldn't get it to idle but would stay running with some throttle on but was chucking out blue smoke.

I've removed the cylinder head and the bore is full of oil so the rings aren't doing there job at all.

If I can get the counterweight pulley off I'll remove the piston and have a closer look but the circlip holding it on is seized I the groove and is between the pulley and casing so I can't get decent size circlip pliers in there

Has the engine got a million hours on it, or is the oil level just too high?
(These engines don't like to be tipped over, either).

I've no idea of the history of it, I bought it used a couple of years ago from a deceased estate and apart from moving it round my garage a few times it's hardly been looked at.

Oil could be overfilled, suppose its an easy thing to check before delving deeper

Sponsored Links
Back