Honda Izy mower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old faithful mower has developed a worrying clatter at low revs during start up and shut down.
I've checked the engine oil level and looked for any loose screws under the deck and around the housing but I cant help think its coming from the engine.
Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Before you dive into the motor, check the blade security just in case the noise is coming from there.
Does your machine have the yellow button on the handlebar to engage the blade?
Usually the Izy motor starts to smoke before the crankshaft calls it a day - and by then the deck is long gone!
John :)

Thanks for your reply.
There is no button, there is a lever which looks almost the same as the dead man's switch. I've had a brief look at the blade but will try again after dinner. It almost sounds like its coming from the starter recoil area and the flywheel.
I understand what you mean about the smoke and to be honest it runs pretty well once going. I would say that the start-up is taking longer since this issue has been noticed. It could have been going for a long time though since my partner has been doing the mowing and she doesn't always pay close attention to such things.

These are long lasting engines, providing they have had some oil of course!
Take the red recoil cover off (3 dome head nuts, 10mm) and swing the cover out of the way - no need to disconnect the fuel pipe - and check the flywheel isn't loose or there isn't any visible issue with the recoil mechanism.
I'll also say there are spacers within the red cover where the bolt studs pass through - and it's dead easy to lose them.

Sponsored Links
Ok.
I checked the blade. Secure.
Took off the plastic housing for the recoil and fuel assy. Nothing loose or bent.
Started the mower with fuel assy still out of the way. Same noise on start and stop.
I'm on my own at the moment so cant get close enough to locate the sound better.
It does run a bit lumpy at low revs but its done that for 3-4 years and once its at full chat it does run well.
Small amount of smoke at first start with the choke on but as soon as it is at cutting revs that goes.
Any more thoughts?
Thanks,
Mark

You can expect a little blue smoke at start up Mark.....that's just some oil leaking past the valve stems so ignore that.
Obviously I can't tell if the main bearings are worn, but if they are that allows the flywheel to drift about somewhat which makes the flywheel make contact with the igniter.....look out for metal filings!
I don't know how far you want to dig into the engine, but if the big end bearings are worn it's usually the complete connecting rod that's replaced.

As we are getting towards the end of the season I might nurse it through to winter and pass it on to my father who is retired and would love a challenge.
I looked at the contacts for the ignition and they didn't look too bad for a 14 year old mower.
Thanks for your help.(y)
Mark

Most welcome! If anyone does delve inside, the camshaft is driven by a toothed nylon belt which was somewhat ahead of its time.
Genuine spares cost an arm and a leg though but you may find that GHS Ltd can help.

It belonged to my partners ex so I've only been responsible for it for 10 years and 4 oil changes.
I checked the level and condition of the oil and it appears fine.

Could the 'Decompressor' system be locked up or coming loose? Have you shortened the starter cord that could be causing the noise and the problem. My Izy makes a noise if the cord is not returned fully or is pulled away when the engine is running (I sometime get the cord caught in overhanging twigs).
The motors always smoke breifly on startup - I believe due to the decompressor letting some oil through.

I've not changed the cord length or tinkered with the starter system at all. I know the sound you mean - the starter pawls clicking past the vanes on the flywheel. Its not that. Its much more clunky and metallic. Its probably best if I try to upload a sound clip.
In the process of messing around under the "hood", i've lost one of the coated, domed nuts from the housing. Just looked on ebay = £12 :censored::eek:

Any 10mm nut will do mate - it's the spacer beneath that keeps things in line.
It's very difficult to tell what nick the motor is going to be in without a strip down, but you can remove the cam cover to check the cam lobes.....they are pretty soft.

Mark, what's the deck like on this machine?
If there's loads of corrosion, the engine can pull away from the deck a bit, and the blade touches the underside......just a thought!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back