Flymo honda 4 stroke - possible float adaption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There
I've a reasonably new 3-4 yrs flymo hover mower with the honda gcv160 engine.

Everything worked fine until I put an extra spacer on last autumn and (i Believe) got oil in the carb by tipping it on the wrong side - I use the 2 stroke too and got confused...

Took it to the local mower garage, cleaned carb and service

But,

The reason for having this particular type of mower is for cutting a large system of banks to a nice neat standard.
The mower, post service, cut out if you tilted it more than 10 degee right (carb side). It used to tilt fine before.
Back to the garage - they had another look and it was a little better, but drips fuel through the filter and then cuts out at anything more than 20 degrees right.
it did drip fuel when tilting before but cutting out wasnt as much of a problem.

The carb blocked again after an hour or so, and repeated cleanings made little difference so i bought a new carb.

It now works a little better but still has limited tilt ability to the right. This I believe is because as soon as i tilt, the fluid level in the bowl goes diagonal and so the float doesn't 'float' enough to exert enough pressure on the needle. the carb fills, some comes out of the overflow but the engine soon floods?

the float is a one piece plastic jobby. Ive tried bending the tab but i guess it bends back.

thinking now I guess i could build up the tab on the float with a piece of nylon or something.

it would run less in the carb bowl on the flat but that shouldn't make a difference because the engine never needs to rev ?

I believe i was just lucky with the original carb. and I am of course aware that I shouldn't be tilting the 4 stroke because of the oil situation, but that's another thing...
(I'm nursing my 2 stroke to save for my own garden.)

Any ideas or experience of this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back