Fuel from mower air filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve bought the mower shown in the supplied photo.
I noticed fuel dripping from the air filter.
Remove filter / housing & carb.
Cleaned carb & made sure all jets were clear & that when the float was raised I was then unable to blow through the fuel inlet pipe until I lowered the float.
I’ve put it all back together but still see fuel dripping out the air filter.

Why or how is this possible if the float was cutting off the supply when I was trying to blow down the pipe ?

I can start the mower & it runs lovely without any up / down tick over issues.

Attachments

• 0ADB3F1C-5CB6-4CA0-806B-7E9F99ABBD71.jpeg
    0ADB3F1C-5CB6-4CA0-806B-7E9F99ABBD71.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 120
  • A8490A42-7500-454E-850C-A50CB06CF14B.jpeg
    A8490A42-7500-454E-850C-A50CB06CF14B.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
The pressure one can put on the needle valve by lifting up on the float can be far greater than the bouyacy of fuel so not an infallible test especially if the needle is rubber tipped

I agree with LITL - the fuel level is just that little bit too high. Ideally the level should be just below the emulsion tube outlet (not that you could ever see that!)
As far as I know, its only Briggs and Stratton that use a rubber ring on the needle valve so I guess the needle on yours is worn or maybe there’s a tiny bit of grit in there.
Fitting a petrol tap is a good idea!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Taken it apart again & cleaned it once more.
Put it back together & so far its ok

Haven’t had much time today but last night having a coffee I would watch for any fuel drips. Nothing at all for at least 10 minutes so I’m thinking that the 2nd strip down must of done something this time.

However I did put some fuel in the tank. I didn’t take much notice whether it was 2 cup fulls or say 4 cup falls BUT this morning I removed the fuel tank cap to see it empty.

Where is it ?

Is the warm weather evaporating it or does it get pressurised and force it’s way out the carb or into the bore etc.

I will take a look but how can i stop that if thats what happened ?

If there's no leak on tank or pipe joints the only possibility is a needle valve letting by.
Unless you have a rat hooked on ethanol:LOL:

Last edited:
I see no leaks at all.
Before the fuel was dripping from the air filter housing onto the deck.
So if the fuel is now going into the bore then surely i would expect some to come out the air filter again but it isnt.
Also i dont know of oil level before i started

Unless the machine is perfectly level then the fuel will drain either out of the air filter housing or into the engine. It could pass through the inlet valve guide and dilute the oil or it may just flood into the barrel, past the piston rings and enter the sump that way.
Sometimes you can smell petrol in the lube oil, sometimes when you try to start the mower it locks up, due to excess fuel trapped in the combustion chamber area......this is called a 'hydraulic lock' and is best avoided - just on the off chance the connecting rod can be bent.

The oil just smells of oil no fuel so i assume it evaportaed ?
Ive poured some in today & seems fine with regards its level dropping or carb issues.

Now trying to start the mower is another thing, reason being the throttle cable was broken so ive fitted a new one but need help / advice to set its position up.

The throttle lever has TORTOISE gradually moving to a HARE then the CHOKE logo.

I did get it started with the throttle lever at the HARE logo for it to run.
If i move the throttle lever back a touch towards the TORTOISE you can here the revs drop drasticly & if the lever is then left alone it will stall.

On a scale of 1-10 for rev noise, when the lever is at the HARE its say 3 but should be at least 7 where the revs sound as if the mover means buisness & not sounding like a fairy.

If i move the throttle lever back a touch towards the TORTOISE you can here the revs drop drasticly & if the lever is then left alone it will stall.

There will be a minimum tick-over speed screw on the carb, it probably needs screwing in a bit.

Regarding the cable adjustment, make sure the choke is fully on at the carburettor end and start from there. The tickover is set by a screw and shouldn't be affected by the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back