Fuel from mower air filter

Sponsored Links
So looking at the photo with the yellow arrow if i screw it down then the lever would operate & thus the inner cable would then start to come out of black outer which in effect is the same as moving the throttle lever towards the TORTOISE.
So this sounds correct.

Im sure ive got the cable locked up in the wrong place or the inner cable is too long etc etc

Are you sure that theres not a screw or hole where screw should be in the throttle butterfly arm to adjust the tick over

That would possibly explain why when screwing in the revs go down then

Simple to check.... Move the lever on the handle back and forth, from slow to fast - if the lever coincides with fast and touches the end of the screw, then it must be a maximum speed setting. However, as said - I have never seen a maximum setting ever.

Sponsored Links
The yellow arrowed screw is the maximum speed adjuster.....undoing it will cause the maximum revs to be achieved - the governor will take over eventually, of course.
The pre set maximum revs are purposely kept on the low side to maximise fuel economy and minimise pollution.
The tickover screw should be on the top of the carb - we'll need a pic of it for that.
John :)

I should have said, the max speed screw is often of the tamper proof variety......Honda use a tamper proof torx which is easily turned by pliers instead :whistle:

The screw is a torx with a pin in the middle so it is the type you mention.
I have the tool for it anyway.

we must remember that when I bought it the sound of the engine was perfect. Not like now. So only thing I’ve changed is the cable so that’s why I say not set up / adjusted right.

No need to touch screw on carb as I’ve never touched this.
I’m sure it’s down to where the cable is clamped or the length of the inner cable etc.

Again, looking at your last picture.
If that part of the throttle linkage is touching the bottom of that tamper proof screw, that's as fast as the engine will go.
On the tortoise setting, the engine should come down to tick over. It should have a stop indent that holds it there. Moving the throttle lever further from tortoise should engage the choke flap.

That’s what I mean in a post or two back.
If I move the lever towards the tortoise tick over doesn’t happen and you get the sense it’s going to stall. You must then move the lever back towards the hare.

If the screw on the carb acts on the the arm holding it further open, adjust it and be done, the actual part that controls the opening is a fixed length rod so if you alter inner the cable you'll still be in the same boat

Too be honest, I have never come across a maximum speed adjustment.
Honda have fitted them for at least 22years and maybe longer.
F7182073-6DFE-48B9-A67A-16A53B6912FA.jpeg

Op’s engine looks very Hondaesque and if it has a plastic screw on top of carb then it needs screwing in to increase tickover .
C7A46676-4EBE-4FF9-B3C9-36AC27FDE325.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok i now see it.
I will take a look later & reply back

Thanks for all the advice

Still unable to sort this so I took the cable off & started from scratch again.
I’ve now got the cable fitted so when the throttle lever is on the choke logo the butterfly in the carb is fully closed. When the lever is on the tortoise logo the butterfly is fully open.
I put the lever on choke & start the mower. I wait a while & start to move the throttle lever off choke back towards the hare. I hear the revs start to drop. If I keep moving it back towards the tortoise I can see it’s going to stall so needs to back towards the choke logo.
There is a black screw on top the carb and I can screw it in all the way but doing the above with the lever still happens.

If the engine won't run without choke then it's a fuel starvation issue.
If the engine won't run at slow speed then it's still a fuel starvation issue - the pilot jet this time. This item controls the engine slow speed, and the main jet is bypassed. The pilot air supply is from one of the small holes at the side of the main venturi - visible with the air cleaner off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back