Honda Izy HRG415C2 SDE starts then stops

No, washer still in place. :)

I will have another play with the carb, put all back together and if still playing up, buy a new one and give that a whirl.

Could I just run a couple of other different things by you...

1. On the ends of the carb that interface with the engine and air filter housing, they have channels machined out of them, are these used for additional air intake?

2. My Izy has a full rpm of 3000, I have seen a few youtube videos where individuals use a tachometer and adjust the governor to increase the rpm. Have you ever run a test on the engine and adjusted? I was just curious to see whether the rpm over time might decrease and need an adjustment.

Sponsored Links
The channels you mention are for the slow running jet air supply.....they musn't be obstructed, and the gaskets have truth marks on them so you can see where they went before.
The governing speed is actually factory set, but some are adjustable via a tamperproof torx screw on the throttle linkage on the side. (This may be only the manually propelled model though).
Otherwise, a tweak with pliers on the same linkage has the same effect.
John :)

I would like to say a big thank you to Burnerman for your support and help with my Honda Izy issue, without doubt you have provided me with extra knowledge and understanding of the carb function and relevant parts. This has now given me the confidence to tackle any similar issues in the future. :D

I would also like to thank Mursal for your continued support and input on this post.

Best regards
olneys

Sponsored Links
Don't be silly John, he swapped the mowers ....................

I had rouble with izy notrunning did all the cleaning bit so I've got new carb
and I've still gotthe same problem please heeeeeeelp

When you take the spark plug out and connect the wire, leave it lying on the steel/aluminum of the engine. When you pull the cord, have you got a spark?

You need a spark and a little fuel for it to start.

Evening all

Just an update - installed a new carb and lawn mower running like new.

Thanks again to all that contributed.

olneys :D

Hi John

I know this is a somewhat old post but I have a similar problem with my Izzy, its always been such a good starter but this year it would only run with the choke on. It starts and runs briefly on easy start but even with the choke on now it wont run on petrol. The fuel is getting into the float chamber OK and the valve is working but no fuel into the engine into the engine. Haven't cleaned those jets didn't know where the were - do now though.

Peter

Good evening Peter, it’s always good to hear from you!
You’ll have to take the carb off for this, and it’s off with the float bowl once more.
Look for rusty deposits within, maybe the odd drop of water.
The main jet is within the same stem that holds the float bowl screw, you’ll heed a 6mm flat driver to remove it, and the emulsion tube is above it. This tube should fall out but if it doesn’t then a sharp rap on the bench will dislodge it.
The hole in the main jet is obvious, the cross drillings in the emulsion tube somewhat less so......out with the 5A fuse wire and compressed air!
You’ll need three hands to mount the gaskets and heat spacer when mounting the carb back to the block but you’ll get there!
Regards
John

Thanks John and hope you are keeping well.

I have the carb off and bowl removed but that was as far as I got so will give it another go tomorrow if we don't get blown away tonight.

I also have another car problem, I know this is the wrong thread, if you want me to move it just say. I have a couple of Citroen C5 estates the first of the new shape 08, loads of problems with both of them but the engines and gearboxes are generally bombproof, about the only parts I haven't had a problem with. 2.0. Hdi

One of them seems to have a problem with air getting into the fuel, if left parked for some time either it wont start until the operate the primer or it starts and then dies on you after a few hundred yards, again priming it will get it started again. I replaced about half the fuel line and then found that the filter housing was leaking, now replaced, air the primer now stays fairly well inflated and there are no bubbles visible in the fuel line but it still sometimes does it. When you start it won't go to full revs but spits and splutters, if you can keep it going it will usually suddenly go to full revs and then drives OK, leave it standing for any length of time and it does it again.

This has been going on for about a year:(

Peter

For sure Peter, you have investigated the obvious causes and also those less so.
I had a similar issue with an Izuzu Trooper, and on that one it was the dip pipe located on the top of the tank that had become porous.
Keeping the tank brim full solved everything until I had to access the tank - which meant cutting a hole in the boot floor.
Is the C5 tank accessible?
John :)

Been there and done that John, had the whole fitting out of the tank then couldn't get it back in again because the tank had warped! Mine has an inspection cover in the floor. There are no air bubbles in the fuel line at all whereas before I changed the fuel filter there were. The problem seems to be right at the pump end - which is right at the back of the engine. I had wondered about air getting in from the injector leak off pipes but all the connections look and feel good. Is it possible that air could be leaking back from an injector? I will have to do a leak off test, I made up a set of pipes and containers - all I have to do is find them.

Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back