Honeywell 2 port zone valve question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m investigating an issue where randomly when my CH thermostat stops calling for heat the boiler and pump (it’s a system boiler) turns off and I hear a pipe knocking with a single thud somewhere in the ceiling. This happens whilst the pump is still in overrun and doesn’t happen all the time. My question is, can I manually latch the CH zone valve open without damaging the motor in the valve head. I want to check if it’s the zone valve closing that causes the thud.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes you can manually latch it, switch the heating off then immediately latch the valve and if the knocking stope likely to be a by pass isseu

yes you can manually latch it, switch the heating off then immediately latch the valve and if the knocking stope likely to be a by pass isseu
Thank you. I have an ABV plumbed in just before both the zone valves which appears to operate correctly but I have not been able to determine if it is setup correctly.

What is the ABV set to on its index.
Is it a gas or oill boiler with internal or external circ pump, if external post make/mode/setting.

Sponsored Links
What is the ABV set to on its index.
Is it a gas or oill boiler with internal or external circ pump, if external post make/mode/setting.
The ABV is a Honeywell DU145 and is set just a little over 2.5 which I believe is 0.25 bar. The pump is internal to the gas boiler (Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i system boiler).

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpeg
    IMG_0696.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
CAn you post the pump make/model/mode/setting or a close up photo of the pump label and any LEDs that may be on when its running.

can you post a pic of your zone valves please close and wide shots so we can see your set up

Sorry, pump is internal not external, I have edited my post.
It probably isnt the cause of your problem but that setting of 2.6m is way too low IMO and is probably by passing all the time, suggest setting it to 4.0/4.5,
check the arrow direction on both 2 port valves. The arrow on the one on the cylinder coil should be pointing into the cylinder and the one on the rads should be pointing towards the rads.

can you post a pic of your zone valves please close and wide shots so we can see your set up
The looped pipe is the flow. The system was vented but is now sealed. The pipe thud started after the new boiler was installed back in 2015 but it was very occassional, I now have a Drayton Wiser system and due to the way it works the thuds are more frequent.

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpeg
    IMG_0695.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 27
It probably isnt the cause of your problem but that setting of 2.6m is way too low IMO and is probably by passing all the time, suggest setting it to 4.0/4.5,
check the arrow direction on both 2 port valves. The arrow on the one on the cylinder coil should be pointing into the cylinder and the one on the rads should be pointing towards the rads.
The zone valves are installed in the correct orientation. The ABV doesn’t operate until the zone valves both close.

The pipe thud started after the new boiler was installed back in 2015
That could be your problem, it is very common for boiler replacements to mix up the flow anad returns, which now makes the zone valves the wrong way round, still works but will clunk when closing, do you know the model of your old and replacement boilers

The flow and return are both correct. The issue is the number of times the Drayton system starts and stops the pump. Last night I jammed open the CH zone valve and didn’t hear a single thud . I will jam the valve open again tonight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back