Honeywell 2 port zone valve question

So, does it only happen when the "last" zone valve closes, whichever one it is, CH or HW?.

Sponsored Links
No, it only happens when the heating zone valve closes and it appears to make a difference depending on how many TRV’s are closed/open.

The other strange thing is that the thud changes in volume and changes location!

Going back to the ABV again, if the CH is on only (no HW) and even if some TRVs are throttled down or closed is there still no bypassing through the ABV?

Sponsored Links
Going back to the ABV again, if the CH is on only (no HW) and even if some TRVs are throttled down or closed is there still no bypassing through the ABV?
No, the pipe exiting the ABV is cold until it activates. The pipework from boiler/pump is about 4.5m of 32mm copper reducing to 28mm into the ABV and zone valves.

With the CH only on can you adjust the ABV very very slowly until it just starts bypassing then shut off the CH.

No more knocking!!. Of course one might expect the HW valve to cause the same problems when it closes, maybe something peculiar to the CH 2 port?.

No more knocking!!. Of course one might expect the HW valve to cause the same problems when it closes, maybe something peculiar to the CH 2 port?.
The knocking mainly happens in the evening and not every time the valve closes so a bit of a experimentation and patience will be needed on my part.

The drayton does not stop or start the pump the zone valves do
That’s kind of what I meant, in a round about way without getting into the technicalities. I’m pretty clued up on how my heating works :)

With the CH only on can you adjust the ABV very very slowly until it just starts bypassing then shut off the CH.
I can turn the ABV all the way down to 0 and nothing happens. The pipe coming from the ABV stays cold. The pipe going to the ABV is hot. I have left the ABV setting on 2.

Something has come adrift there I'd say, think I say something somewhere about recalibrating them.

1708878534332.png

I’m investigating an issue where randomly when my CH thermostat stops calling for heat the boiler and pump (it’s a system boiler) turns off and I hear a pipe knocking with a single thud somewhere in the ceiling. This happens whilst the pump is still in overrun and doesn’t happen all the time. My question is, can I manually latch the CH zone valve open without damaging the motor in the valve head. I want to check if it’s the zone valve closing that causes the thud.

Thanks
I had the same with mine a few years ago. It turned out to be the auto bypass valve opening. Adjusting it cured the problem. Happened every night about 15 minutes after going to bed. I ended up finding it by holding my hand on the ABV and as soon as the heating or hot water reached demand or the system switched off, bang! As it opened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back