honeywell galaxy 48 battery recomendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

recomended battery replacement for the 48GD theres a dinky 12v 3ah battery in there, or you think replace it like for like? i was sure it should be bigger

any recomendations

Sponsored Links
Calculate/look up/measure the 12V current being used by the panel. Multiply by 15 hours and round up to the next battery size. For example, if the panel current, bell current and PIR current adds up to 400mA or 0.400A, multiply by 15Hr = 6000mAHr or 6AHr so fit a 7AHr battery.

7AHr would seem appropriate in your case.

Batteries should be big enough to supply the panel for x hours during a power cut.

I would put a 7Ah as a minimum but to do it properly I would work out whats connected to the panel and how much it draws then work out the size i need for x hours.

There are regs that say what it needs to be but cant remember off top of my head.

Texecom do an en calculator which you select the texecom product and it works it out the hours for the battery, you can add custom products to it.

Makes it so simple

82 thats cool and easy I will remember that next time and compare the the en calculator out of interest mainly.

Sponsored Links
These are the new calcs - much easier than the old calcs with 12 hours of quiescent current and another hour or so of "in-alarm" current...

Just for the sake of completeness, and for anyone else checking the post, the way to measure the current is as follows:

Take an ammeter or a multimeter set to a range of at least 5 amps and connect it in series with one of the battery leads. You could also remove the battery fuse (if one is fitted) and connect the meter across the fuse holder. The positive lead should be connected to the positive side of the battery.

Whilst the battery is charging (normal operation) the meter should be showing a negative current of a few milliamps (10-100mA). Now remove the mains supply by pulling the mains fuse from the spur or the panel. The alarm should continue to operate, taking its power from the battery, and now you can read the current from the meter. Re-apply the mains before disconnecting the meter.

Note: don't try this with an old or knackered battery or the panel could power down! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back