Honeywell Galaxy 512 standby battery replacement ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings to all ...

I have a Honeywell Galaxy 512 alarm system - it is now seven years old. The keypad LEDs are all flashing, and indicate a poor or discharged standby battery.

I have the Engineer Codes and Manual. I understand that the battery is inside the alarm controller box. However, before opening the box and removing/replacing the battery could I ask for advice as follows:

1. Battery type? I have seen a reference somewhere to a Screwfix source for a replacement ... cannot now find it again ... any ideas?

2. How do I power the alarm system down so as to avoid setting it off when I open the controller box and disconnect the battery?

3. Finally - has anyone any advice on ensuring that I don't allow the thing to lose all its settings?

Thanks and regards ...

Ken

Sponsored Links
Greetings to all ...

I have a Honeywell Galaxy 512 alarm system - it is now seven years old. The keypad LEDs are all flashing, and indicate a poor or discharged standby battery.

I have the Engineer Codes and Manual. I understand that the battery is inside the alarm controller box. However, before opening the box and removing/replacing the battery could I ask for advice as follows:

1. Battery type? I have seen a reference somewhere to a Screwfix source for a replacement ... cannot now find it again ... any ideas?

Normally a 7Ah battery in these panels. Could be a different setup you have though!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NP7-12-Yu...5790?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item27c8f750ae

or unbranded:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sealed-lead-acid-battery-12v-7ah-100-x-65-x-151mm/38315?_requestid=1069390

2. How do I power the alarm system down so as to avoid setting it off when I open the controller box and disconnect the battery?

Go into engineering mode before you open the control panel lid.

3. Finally - has anyone any advice on ensuring that I don't allow the thing to lose all its settings?

If competent with electrics, leave the power on. Enter engineering mode, open the box, swap the battery over, close the box, exit engineering mode. Exiting engineering mode load tests the new battery and should reset the battery fault condition.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
as above;

enter into enginner mode
remove cover screws on control panel (big greyish box)
BE CAREFULL OF MAINS VOLTAGE
remove battery
fit new battery (7AH 12V)
replace cover and screws
enter your user code, yes in engineer mode,
press the `A` key
then press the ESC key
come out of engineer, engineers code the ESC
use your system as normal

Oasis

OH, and remember to put a date on the new battery so you know when you last changed it!

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL.

BEFORE, at any time removing the mains & battery AT THE SAME TIME

Make sure the MEMORY LINK IS "MADE" - If it's NOT, you'll loose ALL PROGRAMMING.

On the 512 this is situated above the three Engineer Sockets S1, S2 & S3 on the right of the PCB,

Sponsored Links
Thankyou very much indeed for those very helpful and complete answers.
I am fuly competent and confident so far as handling the electrics are concerned as I have wired many things in my time, and had a few shocks in the process!

If ever in Wiltshire, I'll buy you a pint!

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back