Honeywell Galaxy G3 Battery Change & Control Panel Move

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a Honeywell Galaxy G3 wireless alarm system fitted by ADT around 7 year or so ago.

We have the engineers code but not longer use ADT's monitoring.

The control panel has started to display "+BAT MIS" and after a Google search it seems the battery will need replacing. We've had this done before by a local alarm company and know how simple a job it is.

My first question is, if I put the system in Engineer Mode does this disable any alarms going off when I open up the main box? Or do I need to apply a setting on the control panel to do this?

Since having the alarm installed installed we've had an extension built and as a result the control panel is longer in the best place, and ideally I'd like to move it to another location. I've already purchased some new cable to run from the main box to the new location but wondered if I needed to do anything with the system to be able to disconnect the panel and reconnect it again?

Is it a simple case of putting the system into engineeers mode, disconnecting the panel and reconnecting the panel to the new cable?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
The tampers are disabled when in engineering mode, so it's okay to open the panel.

When relocating, you will need to disconnect any external siren backup battery. Either that or supply 12v to the external sounder while making the move. It's easiest to do the latter by removing the battery leads from the panel and connecting them to the aux power connections to the sounder to power it by battery

Last edited:
Thanks for the response but I don't think I completely following what you mean about the power to the external sounder. Do you mean the box on the outside of the house? In our case this is wireless and would me getting up a set of ladders (which isn't a huge deal mind).

I'm guessing that should the external siren lose it's connection to the main box it will sound the alarm thinking that it's been tampered with?

In my original post I said we wanted to move the control panel, I mean the keypad, do I need to disconnect the alarm system from any power in order to change this? Or is there some kind of fail safe in the system that will sound the alarm when a connection to the keypad is lost? (i.e. cut wire)

Sorry, I've also just noticed, the alarm system is not a G3, it says Honeywell Galaxy 2-20 on the box.

Sponsored Links
The Galaxy G2 only supports a wired sounder, so if there's a sounder that sounds outside at the moment (not all ADT systems have this), then there will be a wire connected to it from the panel.

If it's just the keypad that needs moved, just go into engineering mode, power off mains and battery and disconnect the connections in the panel going to the current keypad, then move the keypad and rewire. The panel keeps all settings apart from time and date when powered down.

Thank for the information .

We definitely have a yellow adt box on the outside of the house, and it it definitely now wired to the main box, which makes me think it's simply a dummy box with a blue flashing light.

After moving the keypad, will all of the wireless sensors still work or will each one need pairing again?

Yes, lots of the ADT units are dummy and the on-board MODEM is configured to dial their ARC.

The wireless sensors will remain paired, as their serial numbers are held in programming which is all retained.

I just wanted to again say thanks for the help. I've fitted a new battery and moved the keypad today without any issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back