Honeywell HCW80 Thermostat - with Relay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will someone please help me.?
I have a Vaillant boiler no problems.
This morning I discovered that my water and radiators weren't working. I went downstairs and fiddled with the Thermostat moving it up and down went upstairs discovered the boiler started to fire and all was working.

This evening the same thing happened and I followed the procedure above and all's working.

DO I NEED A NEW THERMOSTAT ? THANK YOU

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately there can be several causes that create symptoms similar to those that you describe. Generally the thermostat is the last culprit.

Can you provide more information please.

1. What type of heating installation do you have? For example 'S Plan' (uses 2 x two port motorised valves) 'Y Plan' (uses 1 x three port motorised valve) or Combi boiler without hot water cylinder.

2. The HCW80 thermostat is battery powered. Have the batteries been changed recently?

3. What type of receiver / relay module do you have (HC60NG?)

4. When you turn the thermostat 'up' and 'down' does the light on the receiver / relay module change accordingly to show that the thermostat is communicating with it and switching is taking place?

Hello Stem
I am very grateful for your response. Thank you.
I have the S Plan two motorised valves ( I insisted on that when planning the system)
However, you could be right about the thermostat I had not changed the batteries in about 4 years and one connection was slightly loose. I attended to that and it seems that things went well this morning. No problems.
I must check if the relay module is (HC6ONG)
Lets see how things go from now on. I am glad that you have said that thermostats are the last culprits - it appears that I may be the culprit
Regards

Thanks for the update.

Usually the thermostat indicates when there is a problem with the battery, I think possibly with a flashing LED in the case of your model. However, I have seen some thermostats (not your type specifically) that have stopped working before the low battery warning appears.

If the problem surfaces again, and the relay box is indicating that the heating should be 'on' a sticking motorised valve would be the next thing to investigate.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back