Honeywell Lyric T6R-HW Thermostat Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was given a Honeywell Lyric T6R-HW Thermostat and wanted to install at my parents as I already have a hive system. Haven't done a self install before, looking for some advice - attached are some pictures of the set up. Firstly, would the T6R-HW be compatible? Secondly, if it is am I right in thinking that the Drayton Digistat SCR needs to be decommissioned (not sure how to do that!) and the Honeywell would replace the unit in the second pic?

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1160.jpeg
    IMG_1160.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_1161.jpeg
    IMG_1161.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_1162.jpeg
    IMG_1162.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1163.jpeg
    IMG_1163.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 316
Sponsored Links
Yes looks compatible. So yes you'd remove the Drayton digistat receiver and fit the Honeywell receiver in its place swapping the wires over.

... and also remove the existing programmer (or at least link it out)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks for the prompt really, already been a million times more helpful than Honeywell support!

But a bit confused as I thought it would have been the other way around, as in swapping out the existing programmer and decommissions the Drayton as doesn’t look like that controls the hot water?

Sponsored Links
Hi eric7cantona

You are correct. The T6R-HW receiver box replaces the existing programmer to provide control of the heating and hot water...

Capture.JPG

...and the Drayton Digistat thermostat receiver is 'linked out' to complete the circuit. The simplest way to do that is leave the receiver and its wiring in place and simply add a link between terminals 1 & 3 to electrically connect them.

a.JPG

Alternatively, trace the wires back from SCR terminals 1 & 3 to their origin and note where they are connected. Then disconnect the entire cable to the SCR and remove it. The two terminals that you have just removed the wires going to 1 & 3 from should now be linked together so that they are electrically connected and complete the circuit.

Last edited:
Hi eric7cantona

You are correct. The T6R-HW receiver box replaces the existing programmer to provide control of the heating and hot water...

View attachment 184232

...and the Drayton Digistat thermostat receiver is 'linked out' to complete the circuit. The simplest way to do that is leave the receiver and its wiring in place and simply add a link between terminals 1 & 3 to electrically connect them.

View attachment 184233

Alternatively, trace the wires back from SCR terminals 1 & 3 to their origin and note where they are connected. Then disconnect the entire cable to the SCR and remove it. The two terminals that you have just removed the wires going to 1 & 3 from should now be linked together so that they are electrically connected and complete the circuit.

Thank you! Will give it a go and hopefully get it up and running!

The old programmer looks like a Landis & Staefa (Later Siemens) RWB9. (Details should be printed on the drop down door) If so, the RWB9 connections are as below....

rwb9.JPG

The above terminals correspond with the T6R-HW as follows....

capture-jpg.184232

Only the wires currently connected need to be moved. Don't worry if there are some terminals without any wires in.

The main E, N & L supply is common to both items, so a straight transfer over.

RWB9 wire(s) in 1 HW off = T6R-HW F - [This terminal might / might not be used depending on the type of heating system]
RWB9 wire(s) in 2 CH off = T6R-HW C - [This terminal is unlikely to be used]
RWB9 wire(s) in 3 HW on = T6R-HW E
RWB9 wire(s) in 4 CH on = T6R-HW B

Then a link should be added between T6R-HW terminals L2, A and D so that all three are electrically joined together.

Ignore the OT (OpenTherm) terminals, your system won't use them.

Please Note
The T6R HW is designed to operate with systems that allow separate control of the Heating and Hot water, commonly known as 'S-Plan' and 'Y-Plan' that are fully pumped and have a motorised valve (or valves) controlling it. If the system is an older installation with gravity circulation of hot water, and only the central heating is pumped (these systems are usually identified because it is impossible to have the central heating 'on' without having the hot water also 'on' at the same time) then I don't think that the T6R-HW has a 'gravity setting' and so is not really suitable without some modifications to the wiring or plumbing.

I think you will be OK though, because there appears to be what looks like a motorised valve just visible in one of you photos.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back