Honeywell programmer keeps turning off _ Suprima bolier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have been having problems with a Suprima 50 boiler controlled by Honeywell programmer.
The symptoms have been that the time clock turns off, this happened periodically at first but became more frequent until now it is several times a day and sometimes only lasts a few minutes before having to turn off power and back on to reset (or push the concealed reset button on the clock).
having read the forums I summised it was probably a PCB fault and having purchased one on eBay (latest version with wiring loom), and fitted today all was well for first few hours then clock goes off again.
Boiler light shows continuous orange. Havent checked voltage at connectors yet, but suspect they are fine as was working.
Fault finding chart with new PCB suggests if voltages are OK but light is contimuous orange that PCB is faulty! Whilst I am willing to accept that this may be the case (it was an open box but looked pretty new), could this be simply a faulty programmer? I cannot find any obvious model number on programmer case, about 8 years old, 7 day seperate heat and water, once, twice, continuous.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If your programmer is playing up what led you to change parts on the boiler?

Hi

A valid question.
The fault became particularly bad when I was in hospital a few months back and my wife called in the plumber. They said there was air in the system which was causing it to trip out, bled rads and left with a bill for £80 and stated that it may have damaged the boiler by continuously tripping out and if it still did it the repair would be expensive and probably best to get a new boiler!
When my wife was putting everything back in cupboard after plumber left she noticed a wet patch on floor near pump - it turned out that one of the isolation valves on the pump had a slight drip, so I I changed the valve when I came out of hospital, and I assumed this was the cause of the air. The problem of system programmer going out remained.
Having read the forum and taking account of what my wife had been told about damage to boiler I thought it might be PCB as this seems to be the cause of most peoples problems on this boiler and I assumed was causing the clock to shut down.

The model of programmer is usually clearly marked on it.

It may be the internal battery in the programmer is duff, a new on is easy to fit, the hardest bit is getting the prog. off the wall :rolleyes:

Occasionally the programmer's internal power supply may fade, so that it can't energise both relays (CH & HW) at once. If this is the case you can experiment with either or both ON until you reproduce the fault - if it's this you must replace the programmer.

Hope this has been of some help, if not try to be less ambiguous with the details and symptoms. :p

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thanks for your advice re battery - I didnt realise they had one in them that would cause this problem as I assumed it run off the mains and the battery was just a back up for power cuts to retain time in memory.

I'll try and be more specific about symptoms. When I say the clock turns off, the LCD display dissapears and the orange lights indicating heating or water on go out - effectively the programmer looks as if it has no power, but immediately springs back to life if it is turned off at mains and then back on, or simply reset with the recessed reset button.

Whilst the programmer is in this "off" state the boiler is showing constant amber on the LED and does not fire. It will restart once clock has been "reset"

Battery is for memory backup. Your symptoms show a poorly programmer. Before replacing it it may be wise to check the wallplate connections, just in case pressing the reset button mechanically restores a poor connection (try a small hammer test as well)

If you get piissed off with it, the BIG hammer test never works but boy will you feel better, hope you are well now out of hospital ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back