Honeywell S Plan upgrade to smart controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. Hoping for a bit of advice. My central heating system is a classic vented system installed about 30 years ago. It was based on the Honeywell S plan. Over the years with various extensions, etc., it now comprises 3 x hot water tanks and 2 x C Heating zones. Hot water tanks and ch zones controlled by standard zone valves - a total of 5. S plan wiring is amended so that the pump and boiler are initiated if any of the systems are on i.e. demanding hot water.

From a control perspective, we have three separate standard c heating control units. Unit A does one heating zone and one hot water tank, Unit B does the other ch zone and another hot water tank and unit 3 does the final hot water tank. Over the years I've updated the CH controllers but they have always been plug compatible with the original Honeywell controller i.e. plug into the same backplate.

I'm now looking to replace those controllers with smart controllers controlled from my phone/the cloud/etc.

I'm not finding anything which obviously does this. Any suggestions?

One option is, presumably, just to replace the controllers with the smart switches one for each of the five 'systems'. Something like the ENER-J SHA5300 or perhaps a more sophisticated one with a manual override although a simple switch could be added in parallel. Looking at the S plan wiring diagram, it seems that I'd simply switch the HW and HTG wires from the smart switch.

Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations welcomed. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need multi zone smart controls capable of hot water, such as Hive, Drayton Wiser, Honeywell evohome (if still available).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back