HONEYWELL V4043 2-PORT MV:

No, higher than that, I need the cold feed and vent connection.

Have you check the header tank has water innit. :?:

Sponsored Links
I think those 2 pipes are the feed and vent. Only other useful photo would be in loft itself. At risk of "fiddling" I did check tank yesterday and it's fine.

why not read back over the numerous pages you repeatedly mention and offer a suggestion then.
For the simple reason that seco services (a) is competent, and (b) has already asked the relevant questions.

When the OP eventually provides the answers, then, in the highly unlikely event that seco can't diagnose the problem, I'll be happy to. This all assumes that the OP doesn't keep adding unnecessary detail and resists the temptation to change things.

Sponsored Links
HW wasn't a problem until now - been using all thru summer with CH off (although always thought heat-up time quite long).
Could you be more specific - how long is "quite long"?

I was tempted to ask "Could you be less specific?", but I already know the answer to that. ;)

boiler I have is an Ideal W (RS460). Hope you don't tell me it was discontinued in 1900!!

Sorry for delay...
It ceased production 31/12/1985 and we have it listed on a reduced parts list...looking at what is available on the laptop isnt much...

boiler I have is an Ideal W (RS460). Hope you don't tell me it was discontinued in 1900!!

Sorry for delay...
It ceased production 31/12/1985 and we have it listed on a reduced parts list...looking at what is available on the laptop isnt much...

thank god the boiler works then.

When I say, very few I mean very few!!! about 17 parts are listed and some of them say 'special order' :eek:

Thanks for that davebgas - crikey, 1985. You're right seco, it's a wonder it still works. I thought it was 10-15 years old - they don't make 'em like that no more (or do they?).

I've just done what was suggested yesterday and turned on HW only with bypass rad closed. Boiler ran for approx 7-8 minutes then went off (pump continued to run). I then opened bypass and also switched CH on. Hard to continuously check boiler but I did at intervals over next 15 minutes and didn't spot the boiler re-firing although it was on again about 20 minutes later. Situation same as yesterday - all upstairs rads warm/hot, HW inlet hot, HW outlet cold, both pipes in last photo (feed and vent?) very hot including downstream of MV and one of downstairs drop-pipes quite hot, other is cold - all downstairs rads are stone-cold.

May have to bite the bullet here and get Goldberg or someone else to do a house-call with a view to a new boiler and upgrade to controls etc. Can't actually be precise Goldberg but I meant in excess of 2 hours to get enough water for a decent (fairly hot) bath.

what speed is the pump on ?
whats the condition of your central heating water/tank etc ?

I think those 2 pipes are the feed and vent. Only other useful photo would be in loft itself. At risk of "fiddling" I did check tank yesterday and it's fine.

The cold feed and vent will connect above that shelf, higher up the pipe with the pump on.

Seco - the pump is now back at speed II (of III) which was its original setting. If you mean system water, any I've bled from rads has come out clear. Tank? Which one?? HW tank is pre-insulated type, header tank is usual plastic type and saw nothing unusual inside when I checked water level.

Doitall - those two pipes as I said become 22mm and 15mm higher up in airing cupboard. They carry on independently into loft - the 15mm goes into bottom of header tank and 22mm hooks over top of header tank lid and into it.

Goldberg - is in excess of 2 hours HW heat-up time overlong or the norm?

in excess of 2 hours is well to long for a cylinder to heat.

the water from any bleed vent willbe clear sludge settles to the bottom.
same as your tank
if you have a draincock drain a bowl full from that to give you an idea.
or put your hand in the f/e tank.

I've just done what was suggested yesterday and turned on HW only with bypass rad closed. Boiler ran for approx 7-8 minutes then went off (pump continued to run). I then opened bypass and also switched CH on. Hard to continuously check boiler but I did at intervals over next 15 minutes and didn't spot the boiler re-firing although it was on again about 20 minutes

taking to long to fire back up etc.
is the boiler stat up?

Doitall - those two pipes as I said become 22mm and 15mm higher up in airing cupboard. They carry on independently into loft - the 15mm goes into bottom of header tank and 22mm hooks over top of header tank lid and into it.

Yes, I know that, but I want to see where they join above the pump :rolleyes:

Not trying to be obtuse doitall but they DO NOT join, certainly not anywhere inside the airing cupboard. Above the pump, they remain completely separate up into the loft as I said??? Have I somehow missed your point?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back