Honeywell V4073A clicking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This 3 port valve was fitted about 18 months ago.

This morning (at 6:30am) it started clicking. After a bit of diagnosis I have found the following:

With the programmer set to hot water only the lever moves to the far right. The hot water heats up BUT the heating is also on. It does not click.

With the programmer set to heating the lever also moves to the far right, but then the valve start clicking - as if it is trying to push it further!

New head required or could it be something else? Surprised it has only lasted 18 months :(

Sponsored Links
The hot water position of the valve means that when NOT energised the motorised valve is in hot water position lever closed. If it drives to heating position for hot water demand it may be wired wrong or a wire has moved position in the junction box. It is not a faulty head symptom.

Thanks for your prompt replies. The puzzling bit is that this has been ok for 18 months. The wiring box has not been touched in that time.

Sponsored Links
Almost 100% to be a mechanical fault and not a sudden wiring fault.
If your valve has the raised dimple on the silver cover then the head can be replaced as a spare. While the head is off, check that the spindle is free to move. Internal valve faults require the valve to be removed, which means a certain amount of draining. Do the simple checks first.

Gear in the synchron motor is failing. Replace the motor in the valve, 2 wires and 1 screw. Take off the cover and hope that the valve is installed to give you access. It may be easier if you remove the complete head first.

Update:
I took the head off and the spindle moved freely.
I replaced the head (4000 3916-003 £66 from local plumbers merchant) and the whole system appears to be working fine.
I have examined the old head and the brass cog on the motor is worn. Strange given its age, but hey ho - at least it is working again now.

Thanks for your help.

Keep your old head. Replacement motors are only £14-15. You can replace this and have one ready for next time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back