Hong Kong plug to UK plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
H all, I've had a look around this site. Lots of useful information that has helped me...loft wiring etc.
I ordered some 'redhead' lights for a film project Ive coming up from Hong Kong. You can buy the same lights in this country, but the plugs that came with them are different....I did get UK adaptors but they are wobbly fitting. (rough retangle box)
So, can anyone tell me what colour netural and live is in the hong kong wiring?
I've searched for hours on the internet but can't find anything.
The wires inside the connector box are White and Blue.

Hope some one can help, or its money Ive wasted. Thanks.
Andrew

Sponsored Links
no idea what so ever, however do the lamps screw in?

how about a picture of lamps, anmd fittings?

how to post a picture is in forum information

They are the same voltage & the colour of the HK cables is not relevant, just fit a UK plug (although this is not good safety wise if they aren’t double insulated!). If there is an in-line switch on the lights, make sure you wire the UK plug so that the “live” is still the switched cable & not the neutral.

Sponsored Links
but if the lamps screw in the centre should be th live, which is why i asked

Hong Kong was same as UK. At least it was just before the take over but they also had adaptors galore to use any system. The German plugs were common and each time I go on holiday I bring some in-line sockets back with me.
To buy here try rs components they do whole range but a little expensive.
Picture showed up once posted see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets for different types I would put on 13 amp plug and not worry about the ES being right or wrong but if worried simple neon screw driver will show which is line if wrong just swap.
10A ratting seems odd maybe Danish?

That's actually an obsolete German standard 10amp in-line connector. They are no longer sold in Europe.

You should change them for standard stage lighting connectors as used in the country you intend to use them e.g. the UK in your case.

The colour code on the cables is a little weird, it looks like American code.

Normally in the USA :

White = Neutral
Black = Live
Red = Live (if 240V with 2 lives is used)
and Green = Earth.

I would test though rather than assume anything as this could be some weird hybrid of multiple standards, or some uniquely hong kong or chinese standard.

Sponsored Links
Back